[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oakland re-signs Janikowski

kpholmes

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Sebastian Janikowski will sign a four-year, $16 million contract, including $9 million in guaranteed money.

Highest paid punter, highest paid kicker... One thing is for sure, Oakland NEEDS their special teams to be above average to ever have a chance at winning.

The offense may suck and the defense may suck and the coaching may suck and the owner may suck, but, man, they can kick farther than anyone else. So they have that going for them. Which is nice.

:wacko:

I was very happy to see this. I love Jano!

I guess, I didn't think he was good enough to be the top paid kicker. Having a good kicker is important for competitive teams. I just thought that they could use the money in other areas. :wacko:

Last season was probably his best season yet.

Season's past he's had a lot of trouble with the law, as well as an alcohol problem, that unquestionably affected how he was performing. It would appear he's been able to move past this.

He has unquestionably the strongest leg in the league, and hopefully he can capitalize on last year's momentum and stay focused to improve his accuracy in the upcoming season.

He and Lechler are the the best kicker tandem in the league though - I'm sure this is Al trying to keep some positives in tact for the silver and Black moving forward.

Yeah but kickers can kick for a long time. You gotta figure the Raiders will be competitive at some point :wacko:

When Al Davis is gone. That's when they will be competitive again. And since Davis is apparently immortal...their suck-da-tud will last forever. :D

Mkay, looking at bad teams with good kickers... :D I think the Lions have had Jason Hanson for twice as long as Oakland has had Seebass but I'd call the current situation "similar". From 2000 - 2008 Sebastian made 203 FGs at an average of 77%. Hanson for the Lions during the same time kicked 212 FG and averaged 84%. Hanson's salary (from what I can find on google) was 1.65 mil in 2008 and a little over 2 mil in 2009. Seebass' guaranteed money puts him in a similar bracket to where Hanson was making (4 years with 9 mil = 2.25mil per year for Jano). I don't know what the escalators are, but paying 16 mil over 4 years to a kicker averages out to over 4 mil per year. To me that is overpaying. I guess it just depends on the real details of the contract on whether it was a good/bad deal. If he plays well and they don't have to pay him much over his guaranteed money than I think it's solid. If they have to pay him close to the high end of his contract, I think the Raiders overpaid. Just my :wacko: