[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League Competetiveness

BULLDOG70

Guys,

I am in a 10 year old 10 team league ith a great tradition of having good active owners. In recent years though, some owners have not been keeping up w their teams, not really trying, don't answer emails, wont trade, and dont pick up free agents. All signs of someone who should be booted from the league in my and the commish's opinion.

We would rather not boot these people since many of them have been in the league since its inception. Instead, we would like to put forth some new league rules in order to ensure competetiveness. We have thought of raising the league entry fee and/or transaction fees. The thought being that if we have more money invested it may force them to care more. We have also thought of expanding the roster and/or how many players u can start as well. the thought here being the more players on the roster, the more trades/conversations between owners.

That is pretty much all we have thought of. Any suggestions from you guys on how to make my league more competetive or to almoce force owners to take ownership of their teams would be helpful.

Thank you,

DJ in Jersey

Adding transaction fees will not encourage them to be more active.

Instead, you might want to consider charging for losses. Could even go so far as to a fee based upon how many points you lose by, though you may not want to jump directly into this.

Say your league fees are $50 right now, you could collect $80 from everone next season, where $30 is an advance on the potential fees for losses. Charge something like $2-3 per loss.

Another thing is institute weekly prizes for different things. Change it up each week. Things like high score for the week, then say winner in highest combined scoring game, then lowest ranked team to win, largest point differential, etc. There are a lot you can do, and may encourage more participation as there is something to play for each week that any team could potentially get.

Not knowing your current league setup as far as roster size and lineup reqs, hard to make reccomendations there.

Other option is to just start a new league with the more dedicated owners and recruit new owners that are more dedicated to fill in.

We already have a set up where you get a certain number of free transactions. Once that limit is hit, then you pay.

All of your other suggestions sound great. I especially like the weekly prize idea.

Thanx alot! If you think of anything else please let me know!!

Not knowing all details of the league, hard to give very specific reccs, but assuming you run playoffs, you could have a bracket for the non-playoff teams where the winner of that bracket gets a cash prize. This way, all teams will have something to play for all season long, regardless of record.

BC has offered some good ideas, but you might also want to consider looking at some "basic" rule changes - maybe some of the owners are just bored? Adding PPR or IDP may spice things up, or changing the scoring rules to allow bonus points for long TDs / out of position TDs, etc, etc.

Maybe just start by getting as many owners as possible "engaged" in the discussion - even if not all of them typically return emails, it won't hurt to try to promote some interest in a league-wide "general" rules discussion - maybe all you need to do is change things up a bit in the basics of how the league functions in order to rekindle some of the waning interest, if some of the long time owners seem a little less than fully interested in the way things work now?

• 2 weeks later...
BC has offered some good ideas, but you might also want to consider looking at some "basic" rule changes - maybe some of the owners are just bored? Adding PPR or IDP may spice things up, or changing the scoring rules to allow bonus points for long TDs / out of position TDs, etc, etc.

Maybe just start by getting as many owners as possible "engaged" in the discussion - even if not all of them typically return emails, it won't hurt to try to promote some interest in a league-wide "general" rules discussion - maybe all you need to do is change things up a bit in the basics of how the league functions in order to rekindle some of the waning interest, if some of the long time owners seem a little less than fully interested in the way things work now?

Thanx for the input. We already have bonuses for long td's, or a long play. the out of position thing is interesting, but i'd imagine those really dont happen all that often enuff to make it an incentive.

we have been putting out emails, since nobody bothers to check the message board, for the past three weeks. as usual the same 3-4 of us have been writing and the rest have not responded.

the 3-4 of us have discusses making us a competition commitee if nobody else starts giving input. if that happens, theyll just hafta abide by what we decide.

here's what we did in our local league (not sure if yours is):

- mandatory meetings every other week at the local sports bar. you don't have to stay all day, but make an appearance and shoot the breeze for half an hour. it's a good way to maintain friendships and keep up with what's going on in the league. during the week, transactions are $5/per...at the meeting all transactions are free. miss meeting? $10 fine.

- weekly "Highman" bonus for high score during the week. (paid at the end of the season)

- weekly "Lowman" fine for lowest score during the week (to be paid at the next bi-weekly meeting) no pay? fine doubles weekly until you do.

- The Host Rule: whoever has the lowest cumulative points for the entire season is responsible for hosting the end of the year party. funds for this are collected separately at week 7 ($30/per team) and are distributed to The Host after week 17. The Host is responsible for setting up a party date (usually the SB) and providing a venue, food, and drinks. while it sounds like fun, it's truly a PIA to have 11 other guys (plus wives, SOs, kids) at your house for an extended booze-fueled afternoon. trust me when i tell you: guys in this league are more worried about being The Host than they are winning the league.

good luck.

- weekly "Highman" bonus for high score during the week. (paid at the end of the season)

- weekly "Lowman" fine for lowest score during the week (to be paid at the next bi-weekly meeting) no pay? fine doubles weekly until you do.

We do the above but the low scoring team for the week pays the high scoring team for the week.

We also have what we, and probably, many others call our beer bowl. The bottom 4-teams square off in the "beer bowl" with the losers of the first round squaring off the next week (matching up with the playoffs) and the loser of that game is crowned "beer bowl' champ and gets awarded with the responsbility of bringing beer/soda/etc... to next years draft. We trade future draft pick trades and it really makes you think do I really want to trade away my studs and not try to win with potential cash in my pocket for high score for the week and potential of buying drinks for the draft.

As crappy is it to say, sometimes you just have to let guys go. Sadly peoples priorities change over time, and hopefully it doesn't come to that.

That being said, I played in a really weird league a few years ago that gave prizes and punishments for the most and least amount of posts on the messages board each week. We also were required to pick the winner of each weeks games (fantasy, not the actual nfl games) and there was a prize for whoever got the most right.

that garbage got old rrrrreal fast....

but still an idea lol

Edited by FloydofRosedale

Wow Bulldog thanks for the topic starter as I already have gathered a few great ideas from the replies, with that said ten years is a long time to have a league stay competitive and strong, you will have your core 5-6 guys who love FF and will always be die hard. On the other hand there are always guys who just fizzle out, they have other things take priority in their lives and fantasy football just becomes that ritual they do with their buddies. Now I am a die hard, I love it, as I can tell you all are as well otherwise we wouldn't be in a fantasy football message board in the middle of march. My guess is those guys who are not making moves or paying much attention could care less about this forum.

I personally would raise league fees, at least for the next 2 seasons. The guys who want to stay in will make the necessary adjustments and continue with the league, the guys who will have a problem with it and will more than likely drop out will be the guys you are talking about.

I know its tough to get together with a couple of your die hard friends and talk about getting so and so to quite or kick him out of the league, but as the years go on these guys will continue to get worse about how much they actually care for the league.

I would talk to them and see what they feel, and then make your decisions based off of that.

Best of luck to ya though, and keep up the good posts guys.

Go Lions

Edited by GPIE