[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cancer: "alternative" methods/cures/etc

BeeR

Just opening up to general discussion. All quackery? Some you think do work or might have some value, if not now than maybe w/more research? Any particular ones you know people have tried? etc etc

I think a lot but not all is outright quackery. Healing crystals, coffee enemas (yes, coffee enemas), "harmonizing the body" with some goofy herb which doesn't do squat, ie new age type drivel and the like. Lotta dirtbags who know there are people desperate and/or foolish enough to believe something just because they want it to be true and it's all warm and fuzzy vs something unpleasant like surgery or chemo, and more than happy to make a buck off of it, consequences be damned. I'd personally love to see a tumour shoved down their throats (and somehow suspect they would be rushing to the nearest doctor vs counting on their "miracle cures").

Some I don't buy per se, but I think aren't necessarily a deliberate hoax and some may even have potential (no one in particular comes to mind offhand). I do know the current medical world doesn't have all the answers, to say the least. Hell some drugs designed to help w/cancer can GIVE you cancer.

A woman that my wife went to nutrition school with is among the leaders in the field. Her girlfriend was diagnosed with, I believe a brain tumor, and was given not much time to live. They'd tried most things and she studied nutritional and herbal cures and they went for it. That was more than 10 years ago and the woman is 100%.

Just sayin'

I have no idea about the specific protocol and am not intending this to be a blanket endorsement. Just saying that I know of exactly one person who went down this road and it worked. However, I am nearly certain that there are plenty of people out there, preying on the desperate.

Oh, that and I've done a coffee enema :wacko:

I've mentioned before about the consumption of flax seed oil with yogurt or cottage cheese along with a diet that is high in iron.....

flaxseeds or even the oil in pill form are both fine, but the oil itself mixed with cottage cheese/yogurt apparently yield the best results in overall health...

I'm pretty confident (not via experience, however) that eating the right foods is the key to a disease-free body. There's a ton of information on what type of foods to eat. But in short, raw vegetables and fruits, various oils, sea vegetables etc... The more natural, the better, obviously. Any food produced by a corporation is going to contain some bad stuff, even the 'organic' food. Fish (not farm raised) instead of chicken and beef is another upgrade. All these things, I'm convinced, can prevent and even cure diseases like cancer.

I have not seen or heard of any studies which show alternative medicine to be of much benefit in curing gynecologic cancers, but acupuncture has been helpful in dealing with the symptoms of cancer. The emphasis currently is in prevention (Pap smears, regular exams, etc.) and early detection of cancer (liberal use of biopsies when abnormal menstrual bleeding occurs or skin lesions are seen). A great deal of research is being done on screening tests for ovarian cancer and immunotherapy for all kinds of cancers, and that is the hope for the future.

Edited by Chargerz

I'm pretty confident (not via experience, however) that eating the right foods is the key to a disease-free body. There's a ton of information on what type of foods to eat. But in short, raw vegetables and fruits, various oils, sea vegetables etc... The more natural, the better, obviously. Any food produced by a corporation is going to contain some bad stuff, even the 'organic' food. Fish (not farm raised) instead of chicken and beef is another upgrade. All these things, I'm convinced, can prevent and even cure diseases like cancer.

A healthy diet can help, no doubt. But cure? Nah. In fact I seriously question we'll ever have an out-and-out cure.

I have not seen or heard of any studies which show alternative medicine to be of much benefit in curing gynecologic cancers, but acupuncture has been helpful in dealing with the symptoms of cancer.

I have not seen or heard of any substantiated studies which show alternative medicine to be of any benefit in curing any cancer, actually, but am hopeful they will come along. As for acupuncture, I doubt that's more than a placebo effect, since as far as I know, it hasn't been proven to help anything, despite a wide range of claims. Have a link to such a study?

Edited by BeeR

For years the alternative medicine crowd has been pushing laetrile/vitamin B17 as a cancer preventative and cure, but mainstream medicine says it is quackery. It is found in high concentrations in apricot seeds. People who push it claim that the drug companies drive suppression of any research because you cannot patent or make much of a profit off of a vitamin, but native tribes that consume lots of it never get cancer. I first heard about it years ago and always wondered if there was anything to it.

Here is one of a few sites making the claims.

People who push it claim that the drug companies drive suppression of any research because you cannot patent or make much of a profit off of a vitamin, but native tribes that consume lots of it never get cancer.

Maybe the native tribes aren't living in tremendously polluted environments. :wacko:

I watched my mom fight it for four years and tried everything under the sun. The scary part about cancer is that when one thing started to work it was only for a while as the cancer would figure a way around it( straight from the doctors mouth of how cancer is smarter than any drug we have to combat it). Anyways it has affected so many lives in this world and directly affected mine with 4 brothers a sister 10 nieces and nephews and my 3 sons. That's 13 grandchildren 5 kids and her husband that were left asking why a woman that never smoked a day in her life seldom drank and always ate right died at the age of 61 when she was in such good health before. It can affect anyone people take it from me didn't ever think I would lose my mom at the age of 32. But she fought the good fight and we had 4 wonderful years with her going on trips and being able to say the things that some don't get to say when tragedy strikes a loved one. So R.I.P. mom and I hope one day they have some more understanding of the disease and treatment but personally I don't believe there will ever be a full proof preventative or cure. So sad :wacko:

I watched my mom fight it for four years and tried everything under the sun. The scary part about cancer is that when one thing started to work it was only for a while as the cancer would figure a way around it( straight from the doctors mouth of how cancer is smarter than any drug we have to combat it). Anyways it has affected so many lives in this world and directly affected mine with 4 brothers a sister 10 nieces and nephews and my 3 sons. That's 13 grandchildren 5 kids and her husband that were left asking why a woman that never smoked a day in her life seldom drank and always ate right died at the age of 61 when she was in such good health before. It can affect anyone people take it from me didn't ever think I would lose my mom at the age of 32. But she fought the good fight and we had 4 wonderful years with her going on trips and being able to say the things that some don't get to say when tragedy strikes a loved one. So R.I.P. mom and I hope one day they have some more understanding of the disease and treatment but personally I don't believe there will ever be a full proof preventative or cure. So sad :wacko:

It really is scary, it scares the crap out of me. I try to live a healthy lifestyle but cancer is so random and there are toxins in our air and water that we aren't aware of. I've always said that if I got it, I would refuse chemo, try natural treatments and if they didn't work, go into hospice and take plenty of painkillers, hope I go quick. But you had those 4 extra years with your mom....would I take the suffering, the weight loss, vomiting, etc, so that my loved ones could have me around longer? It's a choice I hope I never have to make. Anyway, thank you for sharing.

As for acupuncture, I doubt that's more than a placebo effect, since as far as I know, it hasn't been proven to help anything, despite a wide range of claims. Have a link to such a study?

No study, but our oncologists recommend it for selected patients to curb the symptoms of cancer and claim it can help immensely. I have had several of my own patients who reported relief of symptoms with acupuncture.

No study, but our oncologists recommend it for selected patients to curb the symptoms of cancer and claim it can help immensely. I have had several of my own patients who reported relief of symptoms with acupuncture.

Do most insurance providers cover accupuncture?

For years the alternative medicine crowd has been pushing laetrile/vitamin B17 as a cancer preventative and cure, but mainstream medicine says it is quackery.

With good reason. It was studied extensively years ago and no evidence of it helping was found. If I find the links I'll post.

I'm very sorry for all that. Yes "it" (or actually "they" since "cancer" is really a general term for many diff kinds) is very sneaky and resiliant in terms of being able to survive attacks against it in many cases. People who live very healthy lifestyles get it and people smoking packs a day don't. You just don't know. That's why I doubt there will ever really be a cure...or as they say in the military: "you can only hope to contain."

Interesting. esp so that the oncologist recommended it. Well hey studies or no, if it works (and it's reasonable to assume it at least can't hurt), wth, worth a shot. Edited by BeeR