[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Laptop Help

untateve

I turn on my laptop and it reads:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vgaoem.fom

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

My primary problem, besides my laptop not booting up, I can't find my Setup CD-ROM. How badly am I screwed and is there a way to create this type of CD-ROM via some type of download?

I may have some Setup CD-ROMs at my office but it won't be the one used for this laptop--it would be for another computer in my office.

Please help me, but be gentle--I am not gifted in computer knowledge.

I turn on my laptop and it reads:

My primary problem, besides my laptop not booting up, I can't find my Setup CD-ROM. How badly am I screwed and is there a way to create this type of CD-ROM via some type of download?

I may have some Setup CD-ROMs at my office but it won't be the one used for this laptop--it would be for another computer in my office.

Please help me, but be gentle--I am not gifted in computer knowledge.

I thought the egg knew everything?

Anyway, you want to make sure you have the correct OS (operating system). Did this laptop have Windows XP on it? Home or Pro? Is this a dell by chance (I might have one I could send you if so). As long as the OS is correct the actual disk doesn't matter. You just have to go into the BIOS and have it boot from the CD ROM. That should allow you to repair your operating system (or at least give you a chance to save your important stuff and then do a clean reinstall). Let me know if that makes sense and good luck.

Can you get into 'safe mode' (tapping F8 constantly until you get the correct screen)? On that screen you could try the "Last Good Configuration" option. If that doesn't work, try again and see if you can at least get in via 'safe mode'. If you can't you'll need the CD and as Square said you can use any OS CD as long as it's the same OS (XP,Vista, etc.) If you can get in and can find the file (use search) on another working PC w/ the same OS copy to a thumb drive and paste it in the same location, then reboot and hope that works.

By the way the file name you posted I believe is misspelled. I think it's vgaoem.fon not vgaoem.fom as that file is a default font file for windows.