[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

VA Health Care Law & Nobody discussing

Grimm74

Are our lawmakers considering in their cost estimates of the health care bill that fact that the forced health insurance provision will be unenforceable? VA has already passed a law and 38 other states are going into the same direction. On top of that I do not think it could pass a constitutional test. From what I understand this provision is a corner stone of the health cares bills ability to reduce cost. Whether you believe that or not does not matter in this discussion. Does the CBO use this to score the bill....Personally I do not think they do and this issue is not being dealt with.

Club I am pretty sure that is lumped into the driving is a privileged...if I remember the debates correctly. Walking around breathing on planet earth is not a privilege, but we can debate this back in forth. It still does not change this issue the federal government is going to face.

Muck, VA passed a law that the federal government cannot impose fines or penalties on its citizens for not having health coverage. 39 other states are considering the same thing. I can almost guarantee my state will have a law past as well, SC.

Muck, VA passed a law that the federal government cannot impose fines or penalties on its citizens for not having health coverage. 39 other states are considering the same thing. I can almost guarantee my state will have a law past as well, SC.

First, your avatar. Norfolk Tides?

I see your point on healthcare vs. driving. My guess would be that for veterans, requiring them to carry health insurance when they have free access to the VA would be redundant but that's just a guess.

I think I grabbed the logo from a soccer team, I cannot remember it was a decade ago. The logo for me is for my dominating fantasy football teams named the Whitecaps...

I am not understanding you VA reference and how it pertains to how the feds will deal with an unenforceable law that destroys major cost savings in the health care bill?

I am not understanding you VA reference and how it pertains to how the feds will deal with an unenforceable law that destroys major cost savings in the health care bill?

I'm pretty sure I'm not understanding you.

I thought you were asking why veterans would be exempted from being required to carry health insurance. I postulated the answer would be because they are quasi-insured or however you want to put it through the VA because they are veterans.

Are our lawmakers considering in their cost estimates of the health care bill that fact that the forced health insurance provision will be unenforceable? VA has already passed a law and 38 other states are going into the same direction. On top of that I do not think it could pass a constitutional test. From what I understand this provision is a corner stone of the health cares bills ability to reduce cost. Whether you believe that or not does not matter in this discussion. Does the CBO use this to score the bill....Personally I do not think they do and this issue is not being dealt with.

Pretty sure this article in the Constitution covers it . . .if it is voted into law, then states are obligated to honor it. Now if it was to be a constitutional challenge it might have a small bit of merit, but that would quickly be stricken down under the commerce clause (which makes federal law omnipotent . . and is grossly overstepping federal power, but that is a different argumnet)

THE SUPREMACY CLAUSE

Article. VI.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.