[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

need help setting up league rules

Sobrsis

Hey everyone I set up my first keeper league and got it pretty much the way I want it (provided no major votes to change anything) What I am curious is about keeper rules, I planned on whoever you keep you forgo the previous round pick next year (so if you take someone round 4 you give up next years 3rd round etc) and no keeping up round 1 players allowed. What I'm curious about is what should happen after 2 years, 3 years etc. If someone drafts a rookie with a late pick (say 10) they forego their 9th round pick next year, but what about the year after that? Should they give up a round 8 or a round 9 again? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance everyone!

You can do whatever you like, though at this point any change should go to a league vote.

My interpretation, and also what I have seen to be the norm in these types of leagues, is that in the scenario you describe, the owner would have to give up an 8th round pick to keep a player drafted in the 10th round 2 years prior. Essentially, the player was kept in lieu of a 9th round pick, thus they are considered the 9th round pick for that team in the current year, and as such, would require foregoing an 8th round pick to be kept a 2nd year.

In the league I created I instituted a very simple salary cap that works in conjunction with our Keepers. The Team Salary Cap is 31.4 million. Total team salary after the initial draft was $25.3 million leaving $6.1 million of room to buy FA's. We use a blind bidding process for FA.

We draft 22 players. Players drafted in Rd 1 get a salary of $2.2 million, each rd goes down $100,000 until the players in rd 22 get a $100,000 salary. Then we are allowed to keep anywhere from 0 - 3 players but only 1 each from 3 different salary levels.

The levels are

100,000 - 700,000

800,000 - 1.6 million

1.7 million and up.

And no player can be kept more than 3 consecutive seasons by the same team.

Each year that you keep a player their salary increases by 100,000 after the next draft. So if you keep a player in the middle level at $1.6 million the next season his salary would go to $1.7 million and he would move into the top level of keepers at the end of that season.

For each player that you keep you lose a pick from the bottom of the draft, so if you keep 3 players you would lose your 20th, 21st & 22nd picks. These 3 picks are worth a total of $600,000 in salary. By doing it this way each teams cap is directly impacted by the salary of the players they keep.

If an owner keeps a player from the top of each level their keepers salaries would be $3.8 million which after the next draft would increase to $4.1 million less the 600,000 not spent on the last 3 picks of the next draft, the cap hit for keeping those 3 players would be $3.5 MIllion

compare that to an owner who keeps a player from the bottom of each level.

That owners keepers would have a combined salary of $2.6 million which after the next draft would increase to $2.9 million less the 600,000 not spent on the last 3 picks of the next draft would leave a cap hit for keeping those 3 players of only 2.3 million.

There are some other aspects but this is the general idea.

Edited by Jrick35