[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 100 songs of all time

DMD

Not the way I remember it at all.

This is what I was sort of referring to...

Here's the link

As the late fifties gave way to the early sixties, the rockabilly stars of the previous decade (the Everlys, Elvis, Roy Orbison) were still having hits, but the older pop-music stars were fading away as they struggled to find material that would click with this new and energetic generation of kids. Pop music gradually became controlled by new young "vocal"-groups, taking their power from a combination of the performer's charisma along with the songwriting talents of the production team, who operated behind the scenes. Eventually rock artists came to be expected to write and even produce their own songs, becoming responsible for everything about how their records sounded--but that would have to wait for Marvin Gaye, Brian Wilson and Lennon & McCartney.
That's not entirely unlike what brought down music of late. Pretty faces being fed product from people behind the scenes would appear to produce a lesser product than actual artists.

Again, this is not to say the era was devoid of talented musicians or good music, and perhaps "crappy" was too strong a word. However, I recall learning in my music history class that much of the hysteria around the Beatles was the authenticity of four guys going out there and laying it out as opposed to the anticeptic and rehearsed product that people had been fed in the years leading up to them.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but segregation also deprived many from some of the best music being made back then?

Edited by detlef

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but segregation also deprived many from some of the best music being made back then?

Whoa.... . Everyone kid I knew back then listened to everything that came out... we weren't paying attention to what race they might have been. (50s-60s .... when I was a teenager.) Heck, half the time we didn't even know..... or care.

Fats Domino was just behind Presley for gold records at the time. Domino, Price, Cooke, Berry, Charles, and about a million groups were paid attention and listened too.

I lived in PA, ID, and OR in those days.... so maybe I can only speak for them and not places like Alabama or Mississippi.

When I saw Bruce Springsteen in the top 10 I started laughing and had to quit reading...

While I'm not sure if I'd put it there myself, I have no problem with anyone putting "Born to Run" in their top 10. It's a first ballot HOF song IMO. Maybe it's because I grew up less than a mile from the exact stretch of Highway 9 he's singing about, but I think the lyrics are some of the best ever written. It's a breathtaking portrait of teen angst, coming of age, being young and in love and wanting to get the hell out of wherever here is, all of which are hallmarks of great rock and roll, right? Plus it's musically great. I mean, the extended instrumental bridge/sax solo building up to the big count off into the "highway jammed with broken heroes" verse. . .that's epic stuff right there.

While I'm not sure if I'd put it there myself, I have no problem with anyone putting "Born to Run" in their top 10. It's a first ballot HOF song IMO. Maybe it's because I grew up less than a mile from the exact stretch of Highway 9 he's singing about, but I think the lyrics are some of the best ever written. It's a breathtaking portrait of teen angst, coming of age, being young and in love and wanting to get the hell out of wherever here is, all of which are hallmarks of great rock and roll, right? Plus it's musically great. I mean, the extended instrumental bridge/sax solo building up to the big count off into the "highway jammed with broken heroes" verse. . .that's epic stuff right there.

+1

Even if you're not a fan of Bruce, there have got to be dozens of better reasons to laugh at this list.

Excellent summary.

Bruce Springfield is proof that a garage band that sells its soul to the devil doesn't have to pay up until they pass away from natural causes.

The song is okay I guess but top ten?

Sorry, but Bruce just makes me itch...

I'd agree with you about 90% of the time. The entire "Born in the USA" album gives me your exact reaction, and it was my first introduction to him. I was 12 when it was released and my parents LOVED it, which was a sure sign it was not for me in any way shape or form. But I got to know Born to Run and the Nebraska albums later. . .and as much as I hate to admit it, they're both pretty friggin great.

Edited by SheikYerbuti

Guys, there's a freaking GnR schlock power ballad at #15! And you guys are scrutinizing the list on the merits of a Bruce Springsteen song at 7? Born to run at that?

Edited by detlef

Bruce Springfield is proof that a garage band that sells its soul to the devil doesn't have to pay up until they pass away from natural causes.

The song is okay I guess but top ten?

If any Bruce Springfield song deserved to be in the top 10, it was Jessie's girl.