[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baseball scoring question

detlef

I assume that every pitch either put into play or fouled off (regardless of whether or not that foul actually results in a strike in the count) is tallied as a strike in the pitcher's stats? I mean, there's no "other" category, right? Every pitch is either a ball or a strike.

Any pitch not a "ball" is considered to be a "strike" for the pitcher's count. There is no "other" category.

Does a balk go into the pitch count?

Does a balk go into the pitch count?

That does not count as the pitch is nullified meaning no official pitch. (Though a manager may internally add that to his pitch count to determine when to pull him.)

I assume that every pitch either put into play or fouled off (regardless of whether or not that foul actually results in a strike in the count) is tallied as a strike in the pitcher's stats? I mean, there's no "other" category, right? Every pitch is either a ball or a strike.

Yes every pitch foul, fair, in play, hit batter, etc.etc. goes on the pitcher's pitch count and a foul is obv. a strike a hit batsman is obv. a ball. So if a pitcher throws 100 pitches and 30 of those were foulballs 40 were strikes called or a "swing and a miss" and 30 were balls. You have 30 balls and 70 strikes in a 100 total pitch count.