[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mac Book question

Avernus

I'm looking to burn a HD movie to DVD (it is an .mkv format) does anyone know of a good program to do this for the Mac?

I'm shocked that it didn't even come with a program and if it did, I can't find it....

thanks in advance

actually, that site just shows how to re-encode the file....but this file will have too much quality lost if I do any of what is suggested in that thread, I'm just looking to burn it to a DVD....but will continue perusing those forums as there should be a solution somewhere in there...

thanks!

actually, that site just shows how to re-encode the file....but this file will have too much quality lost if I do any of what is suggested in that thread, I'm just looking to burn it to a DVD....but will continue perusing those forums as there should be a solution somewhere in there...

thanks!

I am not sure what you are doing or what is special about it. Are you just trying to burn this block of data to a disc, or is there something special that needs to happen in the burn?

If you are just writing data to disc, do it through the finder.

I am not sure what you are doing or what is special about it. Are you just trying to burn this block of data to a disc, or is there something special that needs to happen in the burn?

If you are just writing data to disc, do it through the finder.

I want to burn a movie, I burned a data disc with no problem....

I want to play a HD movie in 1080p on my Blu-ray player....it worked just fine previously, but I burned it on a crappy computer which couldn't handle the task and the movie would fuzz out after about a half hour into it...

I would assume my new Mac could handle the task, so I just want to be able to burn this HD movie as-is in .mkv form so that I can watch it on my TV with no quality lost...

and fwiw, it appears that there is a program that I found in that thread that jetsfan posted which should have no quality lost, but I've tried other "sure fire" programs before and the picture quality came out like crap....

I even used a media server program that I can't seem to recall and it bottlenecked the quality extremely bad when i sent it to my PS3.....it took an 8GB file and broke it down to less than 800MB...

hopefully this breakdown is enough for you to shed some light as you seem to know quite a bit about Mac's....

I'd also like to add that I'm not necessarily looking to convert the file to a different container (IE MP4, AVI, etc), but if I can find something that works then I will do it....

my main goal is to burn it as a movie and watch it on my player....

Looks like this might help: http://www.shedworx.com/revolverhdmac

Are you sure that the drive in your Macbook is capable of doing this kind of burn?

it's just burning a DVD....my old PC (4 years old) was capable of doing it so there should be no problem here....my old PC just glitched a lot when burning a DVD because I used it a lot for burning...

as long as the program itself can burn, there shouldn't be a problem...

and thanks...

edit: that program is more for AVCHD....if I could convert it to AVCHD with no quality lost, I would be able to just save it to my PS3 instead of burning...

Edited by Avernus

I want to burn a movie, I burned a data disc with no problem....

I want to play a HD movie in 1080p on my Blu-ray player....it worked just fine previously, but I burned it on a crappy computer which couldn't handle the task and the movie would fuzz out after about a half hour into it...

I would assume my new Mac could handle the task, so I just want to be able to burn this HD movie as-is in .mkv form so that I can watch it on my TV with no quality lost...

and fwiw, it appears that there is a program that I found in that thread that jetsfan posted which should have no quality lost, but I've tried other "sure fire" programs before and the picture quality came out like crap....

I even used a media server program that I can't seem to recall and it bottlenecked the quality extremely bad when i sent it to my PS3.....it took an 8GB file and broke it down to less than 800MB...

hopefully this breakdown is enough for you to shed some light as you seem to know quite a bit about Mac's....

Here's a suggestion:

Buy a copy of Parallels or VMFusion for the mac. Get the "Move to Mac" version, which comes with some extra tools that will help you to take your PC and copy it into a virtual machine on your mac. Then boot the virtual machine and use the process you already know to make the disc.

Doing some research (and I am done researching this one for now), it sounds like .mkv is a somewhat obscure format that's mainly used for pirating movies. You probably don't know much about Apple and how it does business if you are surprised they didn't provide you out of the box tools to burn this format to disc :wacko:

Here's a suggestion:

Buy a copy of Parallels or VMFusion for the mac. Get the "Move to Mac" version, which comes with some extra tools that will help you to take your PC and copy it into a virtual machine on your mac. Then boot the virtual machine and use the process you already know to make the disc.

Doing some research (and I am done researching this one for now), it sounds like .mkv is a somewhat obscure format that's mainly used for pirating movies. You probably don't know much about Apple and how it does business if you are surprised they didn't provide you out of the box tools to burn this format to disc :tup:

:tup: I'm not shocked at all and I was just looking for a simple program on my Mac to burn movies and couldn't find any at all...let alone a program to burn this movie of an .mkv format...

.mkv format is now supported in new Blu-ray players and is receiving more attention as far as compression goes as it maintains a high quality conversion...

but umm, thanks for doing the research as I wasn't necessarily looking for someone to do the research for me as much as I was hoping someone was simply either familiar with the matter or knew which program was good for burning a movie to a DVD on a Mac...

thanks for the help though :wacko: I'll definitely be able to burn this now if I can use my convertxtodvd program on the Mac :lol:

:tup: I'm not shocked at all and I was just looking for a simple program on my Mac to burn movies and couldn't find any at all...let alone a program to burn this movie of an .mkv format...

.mkv format is now supported in new Blu-ray players and is receiving more attention as far as compression goes as it maintains a high quality conversion...

but umm, thanks for doing the research as I wasn't necessarily looking for someone to do the research for me as much as I was hoping someone was simply either familiar with the matter or knew which program was good for burning a movie to a DVD on a Mac...

thanks for the help though :wacko: I'll definitely be able to burn this now if I can use my convertxtodvd program on the Mac :tup:

You can burn a movie with iDVD right out of the box....or iMovie.

And maybe iTunes. Just FYI.

EDIT: Running a virtual windows machine sounds like it would be a help to you, though. FYI, you can grab any number of linux distros and run them insode of the virtual machines as well. That way if you can't find a software to do something on OS X you can try and find a linux or free windoze version.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

You can burn a movie with iDVD right out of the box....or iMovie.

And maybe iTunes. Just FYI.

thanks, I tried those but they seemed more suited for creating a movie rather than burning one...

either way, you're right as they won't burn that format