[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

government oil spill policy: crying over spilled milk

Azazello1313

NOT from the onion

New Environmental Protection Agency regulations treat spilled milk like oil, requiring farmers to build extra storage tanks and form emergency spill plans.

Local farming advocates says it’s ridiculous to regulate a liquid with a small percentage of butter fat the same way as the now-infamous BP oil spill.

“It’s just another, unnecessary over-regulation by the government just lacking any common sense,” said Bill Robb, dairy educator for Michigan State University Extension.

The EPA regulations state that “milk typically contains a percentage of animal fat, which is a non-petroleum oil. Thus, containers storing milk are subject to the Oil Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure Program rule when they meet the applicability criteria ...”

:wacko:

You know, I went to grad school with a bunch of folks who ended up in EPA. This confirms what myself and a buddy of mine (who did actually go to work in EPA) always thought. If you didn't have any science background or have ever worked in the field in your life, you should never be allowed to become a regulator. Gads, I went to grad school with a bunch of morans.

"...when they meet the applicability criteria..."

What if that means a tanker ship full? What if that tanker grounded on your farmland or your fishing grounds and the oil in the milk killed everything in sight and you were left with no recourse? How pissed would you be if the transportation company wasn't regulated?

Edited by mrip

"...when they meet the applicability criteria..."

What if that means a tanker ship full? What if that tanker grounded on your farmland or your fishing grounds and the oil in the milk killed everything in sight and you were left with no recourse? How pissed would you be if the transportation company wasn't regulated?

Well, the article insinuates farmers need to have secondary containment in place around tanks which is ridiculous. This nugget makes me think it won't ever come to fruition:

In response to a letter from the National Milk Producers Federation, EPA officials are extending implementation dates until the EPA decides whether or not to include milk storage facilities with the new rules.