[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper Advice

I am in an 8 team keeper league. We keep 3 players per year.

6 pts for TD's, .5 PPR, 1 pt per 10 Rush/Rec Yds, 1 pt per 25 Pass Yds, -4 pts per INT

Roster spots are:

2 QB

2 RB

3 WR

1 Flex

2 TE

2 K

2 D/ST

So far I know I am keeping DeAngelo Williams, but I need help with the other two.

Our league has been dominated by QBs the last few years, currently on my roster and worth keeping:

Chad Henne - I'd like to keep him, I think this is his year and he won't make it back around to me.

I will end up with either Flacco or Cutler being available with the 3rd pick

RB keepers on my roster are:

Steven Jackson

Jonathan Stewart

I would like to draft Ryan Matthews with the 3rd pick, I know he wouldn't make it back around to me either.

Who should I keep?

When you say roster spots, do you mean lineup requirements or are those the actual requirements for fillin a roster? It's a very key difference and has a major effect on strategy, as a start 2 QB league vs a start 1 QB league, even in an 8 teamer, have drastically different player values, especially with RBs and WRs staying at 2 and 3 per position respectively.

Our league has been dominated by QBs the last few years, currently on my roster and worth keeping:

Chad Henne - I'd like to keep him, I think this is his year and he won't make it back around to me.

I will end up with either Flacco or Cutler being available with the 3rd pick

What do you mean that Henne won't make it back around to you? You said that Flacco and Cutler should be available? I'm not really following, because I don't think he should be gone that quick, even with a premium on QBs.

So are you saying that you will be keeping Henne as your third keeper? I definitely understand keeping a QB if you start 2, but Henne? Really? He's your best QB and keeper? Or did you mean that you have Flacco and Cutler, but will be taking Henne, because I'd rather have both of those other QBs first.

Not trying to be rude, just wondering what you meant, because I'd almost lean towards keeping both RBs over Henne, even despite the apparent QB-driven nature of the league... Am I missing something?

Edited by delusions of granduer

8 man x3 keeper is only 24 kept at worst. If you have #3, then your second rounder is #14, effectively making it (14+24) = 38th overall. Cutler, Henne, and Flacco aren't sniffing 38 overall ADP in an 8 man league and I don't see any of their situations justifying a big change to that. Unless you start 2 QB's Henne isn't even in the neighborhood of a legit choice. Steven Jackson is a no-brainer and, in the absence of seeing your other options, Stewart is almost worthy.

Get yourself a good, reliable ADP source and keep up to date.

http://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp.p...view=draftboard

Sorry, let me clear that up.

Lineup

2 QB

2 RB

3 WR

1 Flex RB/WR

2 TE

2 K

2 D/ST

7 Bench Spots

Here is my current roster (Offense)

Braylon Edwards (NYJ - WR)

Antonio Gates (SD - TE)

Chad Henne (Mia - QB)

Santonio Holmes (NYJ - WR)

Steven Jackson (StL - RB)

Brandon Jacobs (NYG - RB)

Dustin Keller (NYJ - TE)

Jeremy Maclin (Phi - WR)

Chad Ochocinco (Cin - WR)

Kyle Orton (Den - QB)

Carson Palmer (Cin - QB)

Ben Roethlisberger (Pit - QB)

Bo Scaife (Ten - TE)

Steve Smith (NYG - WR)

Jonathan Stewart (Car - RB)

DeAngelo Williams (Car - RB)

I like the idea of having both RB's from carolina since they seem to go off in alternate weeks. Plus with no real QB they should rely heavily on the run, unless they're getting blown out.

Jackson did well for me last year, but his lack of TDs killed me.

I really want to take Matthews with the 3rd overall pick, if for some reason he's not there I would take either Flacco or Cutler.

I guess keeping Henne is a BIG reach, but the other guys in my league are known to be QB hoarders. Having 7 bench spots sucks.

If you keep 2 or even 3 RBs (strong argument can be made that keeping both Carolina RBs and Jackson is the best move), then Matthews shouldn't even be a consideration for the #3 pick.

QBs obviusly have increased value in this setup, RBs do to with the 2 required plus flex option, and WRs are going to be deep with only 24-32 required to cover all possible starting spots.

That said, the RBs (Williams, Stewart, Jackson), QBs (Henne, Palmer) and Gates are the only legitimate options, as you have no real stud WR to put in the mix.

Hard part with the QBs you have is none is really top end and a slam dunk keeper, but you need to be able to field two. But, knowing you could get a Cutler or Flacco type QB with your first pick, whom I have ranked ahead of/similarly to the guys on your current roster makes not keeping them a bit easier to swallow, as you can more easily replace them in the draft.

I'm almost thinking you keep the 3 RBs, as they all have top 10 potential, and target a QB with your first pick, then go best available with the 2nd round pick. You can likely wait till the 3rd for a 2nd QB if the teams with the first and 2nd picks already have 2 QBs each or if there are more than 1 QB in your current tier when your 2nd pick comes up. That way you can start to fill in your WR needs with your 2nd round pick.

Good advice.

Reaching for a Keeper QB sounds stupid now that I see it in writing.

Williams, Stewart, Jackson and Flacco / Cutler does sound good.

I guess I've just been really high on Ryan Matthews lately.

Do you see Matthews as a top 24 overall player?

If so, and he is there at the #3 pick, perhaps you could try work a deal for one of your current RBs in exchange for a QB that is a little more solid than Henne/Flacco/Cutler, and then draft Matthews.

It can't hurt to shop the RBs you have around to see what action you can get. If you can get a better QB, and you believe Matthews will perform similarly to these RBs this year (or at least within a year or two), then you should pursue the deal.

If you're not sold on Matthews performing at or above the level of your current RBs, then I would say you would need to be getting a much better projected QB than a Flacco/Cutler type to make up for the potential drop from one of your current RBs to Matthews.

Both of the above scenarios result in a better overall team, but it all comes down to your perception of how Matthews will realistically perform compared to your current RBs, who you can get in a trade, how you feel they will perform in comparison to the Flacco/Cutler type QB you are likely able to land and whether that results in a net gain productionwise for you.

If you keep 2 or even 3 RBs (strong argument can be made that keeping both Carolina RBs and Jackson is the best move), then Matthews shouldn't even be a consideration for the #3 pick.

QBs obviusly have increased value in this setup, RBs do to with the 2 required plus flex option, and WRs are going to be deep with only 24-32 required to cover all possible starting spots.

That said, the RBs (Williams, Stewart, Jackson), QBs (Henne, Palmer) and Gates are the only legitimate options, as you have no real stud WR to put in the mix.

Hard part with the QBs you have is none is really top end and a slam dunk keeper, but you need to be able to field two. But, knowing you could get a Cutler or Flacco type QB with your first pick, whom I have ranked ahead of/similarly to the guys on your current roster makes not keeping them a bit easier to swallow, as you can more easily replace them in the draft.

I'm almost thinking you keep the 3 RBs, as they all have top 10 potential, and target a QB with your first pick, then go best available with the 2nd round pick. You can likely wait till the 3rd for a 2nd QB if the teams with the first and 2nd picks already have 2 QBs each or if there are more than 1 QB in your current tier when your 2nd pick comes up. That way you can start to fill in your WR needs with your 2nd round pick.

+1.... Especially with -4 for INTs makes Henne even more of a reach with those other guys available, and I'd definitely pick Flacco if you have a choice between him and Cutler. He may have less upside, but certainly a safer pick in a league that penalizes INTs.

Good advice.

Reaching for a Keeper QB sounds stupid now that I see it in writing.

Williams, Stewart, Jackson and Flacco / Cutler does sound good.

I guess I've just been really high on Ryan Matthews lately.

I can see why you're tempted to lock down QBs in this league, but given the extremely large starting lineups you use, 2 solid QBs is certainly not the only way to win in this league, and having 3 potential top 10 RBs is definitely a good way to start building a competitive team.

Rookie fever can be tempting, and if Matthews turns out to be the best value, you could always trade him later, but I agree that I like your lineup much more by keeping your RBs and going for Flacco/Cutler before QB gets too shallow

You're not gonna get Mathews at 1.3, unless like you say, the QB hoarders take Bradford at 1.1 or 1.2. I see you're rookie draft going this way: Bradford/Mathews at 1.1/1.2 respectively. That leaves you with Dez...thank them very much for that. In a 2 QB start league with only 8 teams, you are left with 16 starters after rosters have been filled. No need to keep Henne when you can get him with your 3rd/4th round vet pick. Having 3 very good RB's frees you up to draft BPA other than QB right out of the gate.

BTW: Is this PPR???

Edited by tazinib1

You're not gonna get Mathews at 1.3, unless like you say, the QB hoarders take Bradford at 1.1 or 1.2. I see you're rookie draft going this way: Bradford/Mathews at 1.1/1.2 respectively. That leaves you with Dez...thank them very much for that. In a 2 QB start league with only 8 teams, you are left with 16 starters after rosters have been filled. No need to keep Henne when you can get him with your 3rd/4th round vet pick. Having 3 very good RB's frees you up to draft BPA other than QB right out of the gate.

BTW: Is this PPR???

It is 0.5 PPR per the OP, and also based on comments and the fact that there are only 3 keepers, it does not appear to be separate rookie and vet drafts.

It is 0.5 PPR per the OP, and also based on comments and the fact that there are only 3 keepers, it does not appear to be separate rookie and vet drafts.

:wacko:

I hate it when the answer is in the OP :tup:

At any rate...so having the 1.3 tells me you didn't fair so well last year. Lock up that RB core and get you the best WR available.

OR

Trade S.Jackson for a WR/pick combo and get 2 WR's out of the gate. I'm just not a big believer S.Jax can stay healthy more than 12 games. Let somebody else deal with the headache. Now you have 2 stud RB's, a stud WR and 2 picks in the top 8 to go BPA. yep.....sounds good to me.

Notable players the 2 picks before me

1st team has Rivers, Forte, L McCoy, Flacco, Cutler

2nd team has Manning, Romo, and next highest point total....... Green Bay D, Boldin, Barber, Thomas Jones

I'd be lucky to have Matthews make it to me. QB seems safer and mostly a guarantee that I will end up with Flacco or Cutler.

My keepers last year were Big Ben, D Williams, and Brandon Jacobs. First pick was Jackson. Jacobs was as disappointing as LJ the year before.

Edited by sugarmamaspickle

:wacko:

I hate it when the answer is in the OP :tup:

At any rate...so having the 1.3 tells me you didn't fair so well last year. Lock up that RB core and get you the best WR available.

OR

Trade S.Jackson for a WR/pick combo and get 2 WR's out of the gate. I'm just not a big believer S.Jax can stay healthy more than 12 games. Let somebody else deal with the headache. Now you have 2 stud RB's, a stud WR and 2 picks in the top 8 to go BPA. yep.....sounds good to me.

Just curious as to the reasoning to go WR so early in an 8 team, start 2 QB league.

It just seems to me that with such a high ratio of QB starters, and so few required WR starters, that there is limited value at WR except for the truly elite WRs, which presumably are being kept, and a lot of value to be found with the elite (likely kept) and high upside (appear to be some available)QBs (and possibly some strong value at elite TE, which is why I included Gates in my reply above).

Just curious as to the reasoning to go WR so early in an 8 team, start 2 QB league.

It just seems to me that with such a high ratio of QB starters, and so few required WR starters, that there is limited value at WR except for the truly elite WRs, which presumably are being kept, and a lot of value to be found with the elite (likely kept) and high upside (appear to be some available)QBs (and possibly some strong value at elite TE, which is why I included Gates in my reply above).

True...I keep forgetting this is an 8 man league. But I like the value of a top 20 WR in a .5 PPR league and if he is cunning, he can get a PPR magnet like Knox,Collie with his 3rd/4th pick.

I'd still trade S.Jax for a WR and or pick package or both.