[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Strategy

Gourdeau

A while back I posted asking your opinions on drafting Andre Johnson with the #1 overall pick. I didn't get the answers I wanted to hear!

A lot said to trade down, and I tried that, but noone is biting, everyone seems to be locked into their strategy.

I've been mock drafting, going RB/WR/WR, or RB/WR/RB depending on who is left. So far it seems impossible for me to end up with a top level WR (AJ, CJ, Wayne, White, Fitz, Moss). On average I end up with a combo of Marshall and Jennings, with a Santana Moss "esk" # 3. One time I got lucky and winded up with Roddy White and Miles Austin, but my league seems to be high on Wide outs so I don't see that happening. On the flip side, I end up with a ton of power of RB. I get usually get five of this group, AP ( If I do draft a RB first it will be AP over CJ) Ryan Grant, Thomas, Charles, Addai, Jacobs, Barber, Portis, Forsett.

So for fun tonight I did a Mock draft, and went WR/WR/WR, then RB/RB/RB QB/RB with the first pick overall. This is what I ended up with, now my league starts QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR/RB flex, TE with standard scoring, ten teams but the mock draft was 3xWR without the flex. I am actually considering doing this for one of my leagues. Here was my result:

QB- Matt Ryan, Brett Favre

RB- Knowshon Moreno, Beannie Wells, Ronnie Brown, Brandon Jacobs, Clinton Portis, Justin Forsett

WR- Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Roddy White, Malcom Floyd, Terrell Owens

TE- Tony Gonzalez, John Carlson

D- Dallas

K- David Akers

IMO, even without a proven #1 RB, I think this team has enough fire power to compete. Now in my real draft, I am debating doing this however where we only start 2 WR, I may go WR/ WR/ RBor QB instead of 3xWR to start.

So am I better off having 2nd tier Wr's? or 2nd tier RB's ? I am high on guys like Moreno and Wells this year, and Forsett I see being the Sleeper of the year!

Edited by Gourdeau

A while back I posted asking your opinions on drafting Andre Johnson with the #1 overall pick. I didn't get the answers I wanted to hear!

A lot said to trade down, and I tried that, but noone is biting, everyone seems to be locked into their strategy.

I've been mock drafting, going RB/WR/WR, or RB/WR/RB depending on who is left. So far it seems impossible for me to end up with a top level WR (AJ, CJ, Wayne, White, Fitz, Moss). On average I end up with a combo of Marshall and Jennings, with a Santana Moss "esk" # 3. One time I got lucky and winded up with Roddy White and Miles Austin, but my league seems to be high on Wide outs so I don't see that happening. On the flip side, I end up with a ton of power of RB. I get usually get five of this group, AP ( If I do draft a RB first it will be AP over CJ) Ryan Grant, Thomas, Charles, Addai, Jacobs, Barber, Portis, Forsett.

So for fun tonight I did a Mock draft, and went WR/WR/WR, then RB/RB/RB QB/RB with the first pick overall. This is what I ended up with, now my league starts QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR/RB flex, TE with standard scoring, ten teams but the mock draft was 3xWR without the flex. I am actually considering doing this for one of my leagues. Here was my result:

RB- Knowshon Moreno, Beannie Wells, Ronnie Brown, Brandon Jacobs, Clinton Portis, Justin Forsett

D- Dallas

K- David Akers

IMO, even without a proven #1 RB, I think this team has enough fire power to compete. Now in my real draft, I am debating doing this however where we only start 2 WR, I may go WR/ WR/ RBor QB instead of 3xWR to start.

So am I better off having 2nd tier Wr's? or 2nd tier RB's ? I am high on guys like Moreno and Wells this year, and Forsett I see being the Sleeper of the year!

Well how often if you go WR/WR/WR will you get all three of those guys? I like to go WR in two of the first 3 rounds this year. It all depends on how the draft is going though./

Well how often if you go WR/WR/WR will you get all three of those guys? I like to go WR in two of the first 3 rounds this year. It all depends on how the draft is going though./

Good question, I will do a few more drafts and find out, I would bet that I could get 2 of the 3 most of the time

Good question, I will do a few more drafts and find out, I would bet that I could get 2 of the 3 most of the time

I mean if you can get all of them id defiently go for it. But its doubtful if you are playing in a leauge that has good/smart owners. I would grab 2/3 of them then get a solid RB1 then look at your next best availible option in the 4th.

D- Dallas

K- David Akers

It does look like a strong team, but don't count on getting those stud WRs every time. or that caliber roster.

Favre won't be drafted so cheaply once he decides to return.

RBs like Portis and Forsett that can be had cheaply in mocks right now will likely see their value increase significantly as training camps open and their roles as lead backs are confirmed.

-Heroes

my league seems to be high on Wide outs

Here was my result:

D- Dallas

K- David Akers

I don't like this team. First off, and please take no offense, but I cannot believe a league 'high on WRs' lets Fitz stay on the board for ten, let alone 18 picks if you take AJ #1. That simply doesn't seem realistic.

Secondly, all jokes aside, no one knows if Favre is playing yet and I had Matt Ryan last year and on a week to week basis he was pedestrian. As in 'ok but only ok.' I lost out on QB matchups week after week and it cost me more than once. In short: you ceded this team to mediocre results. Don't even get me started on your list of 'what have you done for me lately' core of RBs.

So if you swap out Fitz for the real 7yh or 8th WR off the board I'd say you're in trouble.

My .02 - WR/WR/WR is only worth trying from the 11 or 12 spot in a serpentine draft. Even then it doesn't make too much sense because of your loss at RB. At 1 you have to take Chris Johnson or AP. If you REALLY want AJ #1 then trade down to 5 or 6 and get extra picks along the way.

Just reread your orignal post, and, since it is different for everyone, waht is your definition of "standard scoring"? In neither of the threads is there mention of PPR.

The only thing that stands out is the lineup requirements - 2 RBs, 2 WRs and one RB/WR flex.

With only two required WRs, and until told otherwise the assumption of no PPR, WRs are extremely devalued in this league setup, especially in a smaller league. There are only going ot be 20 required WRs each week, about 1/3rd of the leagues starters, yet 20 required RBs, about 2/3rd of the leagues starting RBs, and when you factor in the relative lack of depth of true every down back RBs, the value of those RBs in this type of setup skyrockets.

Now, if you truly believe there is a chance of pulling off a Fitz/White combo with your 2nd/3rd picks, then you are far and away going to come off with a stronger team by going RB with your first pick, grabbing your starting WRs in the 2nd and 3rd, and then addressing your need for a 2nd RB in the 4th/5th turn.