[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just saved $180 by calling DirecTV

Gopher

I know there have already been some threads on both of these topics, but I figured I would post this in case any other DirecTV customers are not aware. I just called DirecTV, told the automated voice that I wanted to cancel service, and was immediately transferred to a representative. I saved the following (call took about five minutes total, if that):

- NFL package has changed this year. Instead of five payments of approximately $50 and an additional $99 (I've gotten the $99 waived the past few years) for the "SuperFan" package, they now offer one package (includes RedZone and HD) for SIX payments of $49.95, plus an additional $10 for their "On the Go" feature, where you can log in to your account on a laptop or phone, and watch games from them as well.

I simply told the lady that I could not afford $300, and she immediately said that they have another promotion going, where you get $20 off each installment... basically $180 instead of $300. I asked if it was extra for the phone viewing option, and she said that it was. I told her I would need that additional $10 waived as well, since I watch a lot from my phone. No problem. So, essentially, she waived $30/month (20 plus the 10 for phone viewing) for six months. Not bad... I'm basically paying $180 for the "fully loaded" NFL package, which would regularly be $360.

- Secondly, I think there was a thread on this as well, but you can save $10/month indefinitely by signing up for auto-pay, where they just deduct your monthly bill from a bank account, or charge a credit card. By signing up, you automatically are eligible for the "HD Free for Life" deal, which waives the $10 monthly HD fee. Originally, I heard they were doing this for 12 months... now, it sounds like it's a lifetime option, as long as you keep auto-pay going.

I know some prefer not to use auto-pay, but I've had it for a couple of years, with no issues. The one time they charged me for something I didn't want (I was auto-renewed for the March Madness package, even though I was out of town and didn't watch a minute of it from home), they took it off my bill (credited me the following month). That one took a phone call or two, simply because they were reluctant to reimburse me for a PPV that had already taken place (no way for them to know if I had watched it from home or not), but in the end, they did it. Still, as long as you keep an eye on your monthly bill/statement, auto-pay is really no issue.

Just a heads up, so nobody forgets to give them a call before next month (when the NFL package starts showing up on our bills). :wacko:

Edited by Gopher

Got the same deal this morning when I called. The first girl I spoke to offered me $5 per month off the Sunday Ticket and three months of free Showtime. Told her no thanks, hung up, called right back and got a guy who gave me the $20 per month deal for six months bringing Sunday Ticket to $180. He then offered me the $10 per month waiver for HD, but he didn't even mention the autopay deal. Saved $240 which I'm sure I'll spend this weekend driving my boy back and forth to an AllStar tournament.

Right now I have the triple play deal with Embarq that includes Dish Network...I tried to switch about a month ago but it was too big of a hassle to redo the wiring for Direct TV...but yesterday I got a thing in the mail from Embarq that is good for $10 each month for a year...free money