[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question about DOJ's objection over AZ Law

Perchoutofwater

You do realize that the Justice Department's complaint against SB1070 had nothing to do with racial profiling and instead focused on the legality of state law stepping into and usurping federal authority right? Of course you do, but it makes better political hay for to claim that the Admin is fearmongering and race baiting. :wacko:

So if I extrapolate the Arizona ruling, the Oklahoma State Trooper who arrested Timothy McVeigh should have been prohibited from making the arrest because bombing a federal building is a federal crime. If that is the case, was it an illegal arrest? I know that sounds stupid, and I'm glad McVeigh got injected or at least taken of the streets permanently, but what is the difference?

So if I extrapolate the Arizona ruling, the Oklahoma State Trooper who arrested Timothy McVeigh should have been prohibited from making the arrest because bombing a federal building is a federal crime. If that is the case, was it an illegal arrest?
No, because McVeigh was initially arrested for not having a license plate and a illegal firearm, not suspected of blowing up a federal building.

No, because McVeigh was initially arrested for not having a license plate and a illegal firearm, not suspected of blowing up a federal building.

It is my understanding that the AZ law requires the officers to have a legal reason to pull over someone prior to asking about their citizenship. We aren't talking about road blocks where they ask to see your papers. Now if you are caught speeding, or pulled over or arrested for some other crime, then they can inquire about citizenship. Isn't that basically the same thing you are talking about?

It is my understanding that the AZ law requires the officers to have a legal reason to pull over someone prior to asking about their citizenship. We aren't talking about road blocks where they ask to see your papers. Now if you are caught speeding, or pulled over or arrested for some other crime, then they can inquire about citizenship. Isn't that basically the same thing you are talking about?

What if the charge is suspicion of "trespassing" on American soil because they might be illegal? :wacko: that is where a lot of the racial profile argumnet comes from . . if a cop thinks there is reasonable suspicion (like they are all wearing sombreros, sleeping in the middle of the day and wearing enormous handlebar Poncho Villa mustaches) that they are here illegally and they are TRESPASSING, then that would somehow validate the "legal reason" burden of proof in Arizona.

That is a "legal" excuse . . .