[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ochocinco, Steve Smith (CAR) or Ochocinco - best keeper option?

Steelhead

12 team 2 keeper league. Scoring in sig line (1pt/2rec ppr performance league)

Gore is my #1 keeper and I am looking at Ochocinco, Steve Smith (CAR), or Sidney Rice as my second keeper. Here’s my thoughts on each

Until the hip and the Favre drama I would say Rice since he’s younger than both those guys and is a better ppr guy than both. Steve Smith did better with Matt Moore under center but is he really going to put up good numbers with Moore? Ocho was a lot more consistent than he’s been in previous years but that’s not saying much. You’d have to think he’ll benefit from having TO playing opposite.

Right not I’m looking at locking Ochocinco because I have the #3 pick and will be choosing between either Deangelo/Pierre Thomas/Mendenhall at RB or Miles Austin at WR. If I take Austin at WR then at least I have an established WR win Ocho (or Steve Smith). In the second rd I’ll be able to get a Moreno/Stewart/Hightower/Brown type RB to pair with Gore. If I were to draft Deangelo or some other RB I’d be stacked at RB but Ocho/Steve Smith/Rice would be my WR1 and I am looking at Bowe/MSW/Ward type players as my WR2. Maybe that’s not a bad thing.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Personally I think Favre is coming back so Sidney Rice would be my pick for this upcoming year. But is this a keeper league so even if Favre came back, I think it would REALLY BE his last year. I'm not sure whether Rice would work well with Jackson/Rosenfels the following years or whether Minnesota would bring in another QB or possibly draft one next year. Rice is only 23 whereas Smith is 31 and Ocho is 32. WR will last until their mid 30s so that is also something to think about. Rice will post huge numbers as long as he has a QB who can throw the ball so this is definitely a risk-reward situation.

As for TO helping Ocho, I'm not sure about that. It will definitely help the team and help Palmer in that he will have more options, but it will take away looks from Ocho. I understand that it would ideally take pressure off Ocho but opposing number one cornerbacks will still be on Ocho.

IMO its between Ocho and Rice. Smith has been injury prone lately and is also aging. Ocho while aging, has been consistent, and then there's Rice with his risk-reward situation. Personally I would go with Rice.

As for the latter part of your post I would go with Miles Austin no doubt, especially being a .5 PPR league in comparison to those RB2s. The only other player you listed that I would consider would be Mendenhall.

It's a very tough call...the ambiguity of Rice's situation makes it very difficult to choose...in just about every draft I've seen Rice has fallen farther than Ocho Cinco and Steve Smith....all because he's still on the PUP, hasn't started practicing yet, and may have Tavaris Jackson throwing to him.

If it's me, I take Steve Smith....Smith has started catching passes, so he's on his way back from the arm injury...is in an offense where the running games keeps defenses honest enough to give him some open space, is a year younger than Ocho and is the primary threat in the Panthers passing game...a passing game that mixes deep throws and short outs/bubble screens to ensure the ball gets into his hands in open space.

I pass on Ocho Cinco, there are other guys around that spot that you could just as easily have in round 1 or 2....and Rice, well I think it's just too much of a risk to have him as a keeper over a guy you can be pretty sure is going to slot in there and play.

Best of Luck,

WashD

It's a very tough call...the ambiguity of Rice's situation makes it very difficult to choose...in just about every draft I've seen Rice has fallen farther than Ocho Cinco and Steve Smith....all because he's still on the PUP, hasn't started practicing yet, and may have Tavaris Jackson throwing to him.

If it's me, I take Steve Smith....Smith has started catching passes, so he's on his way back from the arm injury...is in an offense where the running games keeps defenses honest enough to give him some open space, is a year younger than Ocho and is the primary threat in the Panthers passing game...a passing game that mixes deep throws and short outs/bubble screens to ensure the ball gets into his hands in open space.

I pass on Ocho Cinco, there are other guys around that spot that you could just as easily have in round 1 or 2....and Rice, well I think it's just too much of a risk to have him as a keeper over a guy you can be pretty sure is going to slot in there and play.

Best of Luck,

WashD

If it's a strong possibility to get Deangelo WIlliams does that deter you from keeping Steve Smith since they are on the same team? Players are players I just usually try to avoid WR and RBs from the same team.

Not a rule I've ever personally ascribed to...last year I won a league riding Favre, Rice, and Peterson...

Now of course the dust seems to be clearing a bit more and it looks like Brett will be returning (if you read the tea leaves that way at least)...which does help out Sidney a bit.

I dunno, all I can tell you for sure is I personally wouldn't draft Ocho...don't like that offensive line, don't trust Palmer's arm anymore, and really the TO/Ocho dynamic will make for good TV, but will it make for good Fantasy Stats?

I just got a tweet that "Sidney Rice says it's 'up in the air' whether he will be ready for Wk 1. Javon Walker in Min for a workout. "

This is the kind of stuff that scares me with Rice, we just don't know when he'll be back and when he's back how good he'll be to go....I say stay away and go with Smith personally

Best of Luck,

WD