[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

QB or RB in the 1st Round?

Qdaddyo

QB or RB  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should I Select A QB or RB with My 1st Round Pick?

• QB
    • RB

This is my local/family/friend league. I've been playing in it for 15+ years. I've tried year after year to get the scoring system changed, but most everyone is happy with the unique setup we have.

Anyway...

The scoring system is as follows:

1 point per yard

25 points per TD

-15 points per INT

-15 points per FL

-10 points per sack

This is for ALL players, including QB's.

It's a 12-team keeper league, and I have the 2nd pick. My keeper is of no consequence (Jerome Harrison in the 14th), so it has no impact on who I'd pick in the 1st round.

So, should I go QB or RB?

The scoring system is not a huge factor, because it increases the fantasy scoring for ALL QB's, not just the top ones. I think if you can get one of CJ or AP, then you need to do that, because they are a ways ahead of the rest of the RB's.

While this is generally true, there are times where the system is such that there are such hugh disparities in scoring between the positions that it is in fact a major factor in value. I got involved in a league last year where it worked out that QBs provided about 60-70% of the scoring, ie the one QB would normally outscore the entirety of the rest of the starting lineup, so in that case, the scoring system was a major factor.

How does scoring normally shake out in your league, where is the bigger dropoffs? It's the same question for any league, any scoring system, etc., you have to see how it has generally shaped up or at least apply your projections to see where you think the dropoffs will be.

According to that scoring system QB fantasy pt rankings would be:

Manning - 4972

Rodgers - 4960

Brady - 4782

Romo - 4728

Schaub - 4711

Rivers - 4599

Brees - 4521

E Manning - 4131

Flacco - 3624

Palmer - 3302

I skipped some names but it gives a jist of the point spread. In comparison to standard NFL.com scoring you will see slight differences. Rodgers' drastic lead in fantasy points in NFL.com scoring is gone due to the sacks but hangs in there because of the TDs. Brees lost his high fantasy ranking due to your scoring which favors Yard producers. Also Rodgers gains 10% more fantasy points relative to Flacco using your scoring compared to NFL.com's.

Looking at RBs:

CJ - 2864

AP - 2179

Rice - 2171

MJD 2125

Gore - 1746

Mendenhall - 1263

Again you see that Yard producers will be favored by your scoring as Rice's fantasy points close in on AP's. With your scoring Rice gains 10% more fantasy points relative to AP using your scoring. This is because Rice's receiving yards bump him up closer toward's AP's total yards since receiving and rushing yards are weighted equally. Also AP loses 5% fantasy points relative to CJ using your scoring.

That being said I would try and draft CJ with your #2 pick, if not then possibly go for the next back who you think will produce the most yards. The only thing with Rice is that I think Boldin will take away some of his receiving yards as Flacco becomes more confident. So you may still want to follow the traditional pick of AP at #2. Plus AP's receiving game has been getting better drastically. Then if you can draft a QB in the second or third round like Schaub or Romo you should be fine. The point difference between qb's like them and Rodgers is smaller so you can afford to wait. But the fondness of dropping back for a QB like Flacco with potential upside dies down unless you think his yards are going to go up considerably.