[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting from #9 slot, need some strategy help

raskul

This is my first live draft, our league always used auto-draft before.

I'm excited but a little unsure of the best strategy at this spot.

10-team non-PPR league, standard scoring except QBs get 6 points per TD.

I won with Rodgers as my QB last year but also had Chris Johnson - no chance I'm going to end up with both this year!

At #9 I will probably have a shot at Rodgers/Brees/Manning.

Then with pick #12, do I take the best available (tier 2) RB or the best (possibly tier 1) WR?

I won't pick again until 29 & 32 so I'm worried about getting slim pickin's somewhere.

Or should I skip the QB temptation and go RB / WR with the first 2 and hold off on QB until later?

I guess the question is, if I want a tier 1 QB do I want tier 3 RB / tier 1 WR, or tier 2 RB / tier 2 WR?

Or is a tier 2 RB / tier 1 WR / average QB a better plan?

Appreciate your thoughts!

At #9 Take a QB then on the turn grab either Moss, Wayne, White or Austin. On your 3rd pick, grab a #2 WR then load up in rounds 4-6on RBs. RBs are a bit deeper than WRs and like you said, its a non PPR. TE's are deep as well.

Just my :wacko:

10 teamer start 1 QB league, I;d likely avoid a Qb early unless there is something unordinary in the scoring rules.

Do your projections, apply them to your leagues scoring system/lineup settings and do your value analysis. If you really think one of Brees/Rodgers/Manning is going to truly distance himself from the rest, then maybe you can reach for them in the 1st, otherwise wait to see which of them is there in the 2nd and reach for them there.

At 9 you can grab a solid WR or RB still. Remember, people are dumb.

Then at #12, if Rodgers, or Brees is there, grab him. If not don't sweat. Draft the best available.

In the 3rd round, you should have a Romo, Brady, Shaub fall to you. But if not stock up on more RB and WR.

Then in the 4th I would make sure to grab a QB. With 6 points a TD, you need someone who will give you solid TDs. I would go Kolb, Rivers, Cutler or Favre in that order.

Just stay calm, and collected at your draft. And don't be the drunk guy picking 3 QBs. ( AKA Me)

At 9 you can grab a solid WR or RB still. Remember, people are dumb.

Then at #12, if Rodgers, or Brees is there, grab him. If not don't sweat. Draft the best available.

In the 3rd round, you should have a Romo, Brady, Shaub fall to you. But if not stock up on more RB and WR.

Then in the 4th I would make sure to grab a QB. With 6 points a TD, you need someone who will give you solid TDs. I would go Kolb, Rivers, Cutler or Favre in that order.

Just stay calm, and collected at your draft. And don't be the drunk guy picking 3 QBs. ( AKA Me)

What does 6 point TDs have to do with it? Would you still draft a QB in the 4th in this scenario at 4 pt TDs?

Last season, the difference between the #1 and #12 QB in terms of passing TDs was 8 (Brees with 34 down to Warner/Roth/Romo with 26 a piece) That's a whopping 16 point difference from a 4 point TD league over the duration of the entire season.

Once and for all, 6 point passing TDs vs. 4 point TDs have almost no affect on QB value at all.

Just finnished with a 10 team .5 PPR draft from the 9 position. I did not plan to but ended up going WR/WR/WR which I have never done before but we do start 3 WR's. AJ fell to 9 so I had to take him. One the wrap around I took Wayne and then in the 3rd the best value on my board was Roddy White. I ended up getting Shaub in the 4th and then too a bunch of RB's that I'm hoping at least a couple will pan out. Not sure how it will end up but it jsut turned out that way....................good luck.

Just finnished with a 10 team .5 PPR draft from the 9 position. I did not plan to but ended up going WR/WR/WR which I have never done before but we do start 3 WR's. AJ fell to 9 so I had to take him. One the wrap around I took Wayne and then in the 3rd the best value on my board was Roddy White. I ended up getting Shaub in the 4th and then too a bunch of RB's that I'm hoping at least a couple will pan out. Not sure how it will end up but it jsut turned out that way....................good luck.

With those players at those spots, you have tp do it-- White is going late 1st/early 2nd in most drafts, what great value

I had to throw in my 2cents;

With the scoring and line up requirements in your sig. RBs are like gold in this league. I know everyone is on the WR train, myself included, but look at the league requirements. Must start 1RB/1WR/1TE with 3 flex players. REC yardage is 1pt/15 yards while rushing is 1pt/10 yards. no PPR. I know you draft at 9 but I would weigh very heavily on RB/RB/RB/WR and then fish for more WR and then QB.

BC is dead on about the QB, 6 points is irrelevant because it is all relative. 4 or 6 points for passing TD's makes no difference or the difference is to small to matter. Your league line up and scoring give RB's the edge. People think the RB talent pool is a lot deeper this year than in years past. I will say it is in PPR leagues, but not as deep(with quality upside guys) in the non-ppr leagues.

Scoring system and line-up requirements are the two most important things to consider as you get ready for your draft. Follow BC's advice about projections and applying them to you league. He knows a thing or two about drafting FF teams.

Good luck this season.

WIth your league setup, I wouldn't draft a QB with your #9. You can get a failry good QB in the 4th or 5th in a 1 QB starter league. You need to get a good RB or WR but I'd start with RB first.

Hopefully some will draft a QB early (sure, you won't have a Brees or Rodgers but in your league, that's okay) which might open opportunities for you to get a Turner, DWilliams or Gore. I'd then get myself a solid RB2 with your second and a decent WR1 with your 3rd. At 4, there should be ample QB's were you could get a Ryan, Eli, McNabb and even a Cutler. If you don't get dinged for INT's, Cutler will be a top 5 QB. If you are penalized 2 points per INT, avoid Cutler and get Eli. He should have solid numbers this year.