[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Same player on mulitple fantasy teams

SLGRAF

In my first draft, I snagged Ray Rice. I have my second draft tomorrow, and am picking 5th. I was actually hoping that Rice would somehow fall to me, but now that I already own him on my other team, am thinking of going another direction; i.e, if Rice get injured, I do not want it to torpedo BOTH of my teams. Do you think this makes sense?

For the sake of the fun of the game, I always like to draft some of my same target guys to keep up with, and certainly don't ever let it influence me away from taking who I think is the best value there... Though there is something to be said for diversity, since it is an awful feeling when you have the same guy dragging you down multiple teams...

But here's why I'd never try to actively pass over a guy that I think is the best value, unless there's someone else I like equally as much:

Let's say you do diversify your squads, but your squad that you don't have Rice is the one that ends up really needing the stud RB. Maybe you drafted someone like AJ instead who gets hurt, or conversely, perhaps your team that DOES have Rice isn't doing well enough to matter... So I look at it oppositely like diversifying my stud to multiple teams.

I think your diversity strategy might be more suited for the later rounds, where there tends to be several different directions you can go... But particularly with the dropoffs you see in the first round nowadays, I just don't think you can pass up the young stud back for other backs who have more concerns, just for the sake of diversity...

I could see it for AJ, but only if you really like him more to greatly outscore at his position... Personally though, especially if it's PPR, I'm snagging Rice in any draft I can get him. Kid is special. Only in non-PPR could I consider a guy like Turner over him.

(ETA: Now I see you said it was non-PPR. In that case, I'd go Turner, for both value and diversity.)

Edited by delusions of granduer

Not that this answers your question but I have been playing fantasy football for about 22 years. Drafted my first team in 1988, the USA today was our primary source of info, and we subscrided to a service that sent us a floppy disc in the mail on Tuesdays with everyones scores. I've played in almost every kind of league imaginable and I have gotten to the point were I can't be in multiple leagues. It just screws up my football watching. Almost without fail I will be playing against my own guy. Lets say Rice does not fall to you in your next draft. What do you do when you play the guy who has Rice? Cheer for him not cheer for him. Obviously, the more leagues you are the greater the chance that you will be going against your own players. Well enough rambling, I guess what I'm saying is when I used to play in multiple leagues I liked taking the same players so I had a core group that I could root for every week. However, the smart thing is to take your highest rated player regardless of who you drafted in other leagues.

Not that this answers your question but I have been playing fantasy football for about 22 years. Drafted my first team in 1988, the USA today was our primary source of info, and we subscrided to a service that sent us a floppy disc in the mail on Tuesdays with everyones scores. I've played in almost every kind of league imaginable and I have gotten to the point were I can't be in multiple leagues. It just screws up my football watching. Almost without fail I will be playing against my own guy. Lets say Rice does not fall to you in your next draft. What do you do when you play the guy who has Rice? Cheer for him not cheer for him. Obviously, the more leagues you are the greater the chance that you will be going against your own players. Well enough rambling, I guess what I'm saying is when I used to play in multiple leagues I liked taking the same players so I had a core group that I could root for every week. However, the smart thing is to take your highest rated player regardless of who you drafted in other leagues.

I was in 3 leagues last year and 4 this year and you touched on exactly what I hate about having guys on some teams and then going against those same guys on other teams. Its like you have think real quick what scenerio is more beneficial for you in which league before you start cheering. It drives me nuts sometimes to the point where I will probably just do 1 or maybe 2 leagues a season from now on. Im tired of selective cheering. lol