[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ESPN - League Question

rfisher983

I've has San Diego in both my ESPN League (first time) and Yahoo League (multiple times). Why does ESPN count points against on team defense for offensive turnovers and touchdowns when the defense is not on the field?

The league settings seem to be exactly the same in both leagues:

Yahoo: PA: 27 Sacks: 3 = 3.00 pts

ESPN: PA: 35 Sacks 3 = - 4 pts

Normally I wouldn't care but when you lose by 6 points theirs a problem.

After using both league I can vouch to say so far yahoo > ESPN.

I've has San Diego in both my ESPN League (first time) and Yahoo League (multiple times). Why does ESPN count points against on team defense for offensive turnovers and touchdowns when the defense is not on the field?

The league settings seem to be exactly the same in both leagues:

Yahoo: PA: 27 Sacks: 3 = 3.00 pts

ESPN: PA: 35 Sacks 3 = - 4 pts

Normally I wouldn't care but when you lose by 6 points theirs a problem.

After using both league I can vouch to say so far yahoo > ESPN.

customize your league?????? IN my espn league last week chargers got 3 pts.

Edited by CrimsonGhost

I've been having ESPN host my local league for the last 4 years. It's the way they've always done it. Don't know why, but thats the way it is. Thats why its a good idea to have the total yards against score points as well. Which ESPN does allow in their settings. That way when a game like the NO vs ARI game last week where ARI scored 30 points, but had less than 200 yards of total offense, can still net you *some* points.

If yahoo doesn't count points against that are scored by turnovers (I wouldn't know, never used their site), then I would try to get the league to switch over to that site next year.

Most leagues/settings automatically score all points against, as you are seeing in ESPN.

Yahoo may have changed their defaults or the commish did to a setting for Offensive Points Against so that defensive/special team scores do not count.

Eitehr way, it;s likely been set these ways in each league all season, so I would venture to guess you will be fighting a major uphill battle to get one changed as you would need to go back and change all scores for the entire season, potentially affecting the outcome of past games.

Most leagues/settings automatically score all points against, as you are seeing in ESPN.

Yahoo may have changed their defaults or the commish did to a setting for Offensive Points Against so that defensive/special team scores do not count.

Eitehr way, it;s likely been set these ways in each league all season, so I would venture to guess you will be fighting a major uphill battle to get one changed as you would need to go back and change all scores for the entire season, potentially affecting the outcome of past games.

I'm not going to ask anyone to change any setting. Looking at the ESPN rules and the Yahoo rules they appear EXACTLY the same for each defensive category. I just wanted to confirm there was a setting I wasn't aware of.

Also, what are your thoughts on kickers obtaining -1point for missing fields goals over 40 and 50 yards?

I'm not going to ask anyone to change any setting. Looking at the ESPN rules and the Yahoo rules they appear EXACTLY the same for each defensive category. I just wanted to confirm there was a setting I wasn't aware of.

Also, what are your thoughts on kickers obtaining -1point for missing fields goals over 40 and 50 yards?

We thought about including that as one of the rules in our league, but someone brought up the point that if a coach brings out a kicker to try a 60+ yard kick right before half that he has no buisness trying to make anyways, you shouldn't be penalized for it. Now if a kicker misses a PAT then -1 for sure.

For the first part, you;d have to look into the details of how the rules are scored at each site. Sites like MFL and I believe RTSports all have the option to custom define exactly what constitutes points against for team defenses.

For the 2nd question, really league dependent. I've played in leagues with negative points for missed kicks and I;ve played in leagues with no negative points. No different than the decision of whether or not to penalize for INTs or lost fumbles.

We thought about including that as one of the rules in our league, but someone brought up the point that if a coach brings out a kicker to try a 60+ yard kick right before half that he has no buisness trying to make anyways, you shouldn't be penalized for it. Now if a kicker misses a PAT then -1 for sure.

Well in my yahoo league any FG miss from 30 yards in are -2. PAT are -5 point. Any FG missed about 30 yards doesn't go against a kicker. FG over 40 yards are 4 points and 50 yards 5 points.

Well in my yahoo league any FG miss from 30 yards in are -2. PAT are -5 point. Any FG missed about 30 yards doesn't go against a kicker. FG over 40 yards are 4 points and 50 yards 5 points.

So when your kicker gets a kick blocked (99% of the time not his fault) he gets negative points? Seems stupid. I would not want to play in a league that my kicker has a chance to put up negative points or a def for that matter.

So when your kicker gets a kick blocked (99% of the time not his fault) he gets negative points? Seems stupid. I would not want to play in a league that my kicker has a chance to put up negative points or a def for that matter.

Do you play in leagues where QBs get negative points for INTs? A lot of INTs are not the fault of the QB but the fault of a WR that bobbles a catch, etc.

Crimson -

Just some stats for you to look at as I was curious about this.

In 2009, there were 174 missed field goals (this includes blocked kicks).

There were 21 blocked field goals. That translates to about 12% of missed kicks being blocked.

Seems like a minor concern if a league decides to go with negatives for missed kicks.

Crimson -

Just some stats for you to look at as I was curious about this.

In 2009, there were 174 missed field goals (this includes blocked kicks).

There were 21 blocked field goals. That translates to about 12% of missed kicks being blocked.

Seems like a minor concern if a league decides to go with negatives for missed kicks.

Also, it's not as if the team around the kicker has no effect on him anyway. If a team goes 3-and-out every drive, then a kicker isn't going to put up points either. So if kicks are getting routinely blocked, then it's just another kicker situation you want to stay away from.

We just went to this system this year, and I love it:

FGs inside 30 = +3 (then .1 for every yard above that; for example, 56 yard FG = 5.6 points)

Misses inside 30 = -1 (misses outside of 30 are not penalized)

This seems to be a pretty accurate measure of kicker performance to me, since FGs inside of 30 should be automatic, but it'd be ridiculous to penalize for longer kicks, that should be viewed as "taking a shot", not a given.

Wait, are we really discussing kicker scoring?

Do you play in leagues where QBs get negative points for INTs? A lot of INTs are not the fault of the QB but the fault of a WR that bobbles a catch, etc.

good point. However i just can't imagine playing a league that there is a chance for negative points form either kicker or def. I guess i am just in the position where i feel like a def and kicker should not be such a factor. I feel like both these positions are so flukey.

good point. However i just can't imagine playing a league that there is a chance for negative points form either kicker or def. I guess i am just in the position where i feel like a def and kicker should not be such a factor. I feel like both these positions are so flukey.

Do what I have done in a couple leagues - just dont have team defense or kickers as a position.