[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Evaluating a League Trade

SpinalTapp

The specific deal is

Santana Moss + Felix Jones + H.Miller for Steven Jackson and Brent Celek

The owner giving up SJackson is 2-5. The team looking to acquire SJax is 5-2. These two owners are good friends.

The 2-5 owner giving up SJax has Moreno, Lynch, and Hightower as other RBs. His other WRs are Welker, Harvin, and Meacham. I am just not sure how this deal could possibly help his team. Today, this owner can start SJax, Moreno, Lynch, Harvin, Welke, and Celek. With the trade, his best lineup becomes Moreno, Lynch, Welker, Harvin, HMiller, and then he has to pick between FJones and S.Moss as his flex. This is at best a wash but realisticaly, a downgrade for a 2-5 team that needs a boost, not a drop in production.

In our league, SJax was the fifth overall pick in the first round. Felix Jones was a 7th rounder and S.Moss was an 8th rounder. H.Miller was picked up off waivers last week. Obviously, things have changed since the draft...but I thought I would give some perspective.

A lot of background info....but ultimately...just based on the players involved...is this deal fair enough to go through or would you veto it?

Edited by SpinalTapp

I would veto it. Fantasy football is a game where quantity rarely beats quality and this is a perfect example of that.

We used to call this a "Trash for Treasure" deal...but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something here...

I don't think you're missing anything. Santana's good, but nowhere near SJax good. Felix Jones is going to get more touches, but I still don't think that he can make up the points gap left by getting rid of Steven. Also, other than Gates and Vernon Davis (Clark and Jermichael before their injuries) TE's have little consistent value, so a swap of Celek and Miller really does nothing in my eyes.

What are your league rules? Do you veto trades that favor one owner over another in your eyes? Shouldn't everyone have the right to evaluate players differently?

This trade is fine. SJax is hurt. Felix is on the upswing. Miller has Ben back. Celek has been garbage. There are always reasons to justify or vilify a trade. The fact that you mentioned draft spots for players 8 weeks into the season is silly. Who cares? Would you veto a Foster for MJD trade now because MJD was taken in the first round? I didn't think so..

This trade is fine unless you know that the owners colluded to pool talent to one team.

What are your league rules? Do you veto trades that favor one owner over another in your eyes? Shouldn't everyone have the right to evaluate players differently?

This trade is fine. SJax is hurt. Felix is on the upswing. Miller has Ben back. Celek has been garbage. There are always reasons to justify or vilify a trade. The fact that you mentioned draft spots for players 8 weeks into the season is silly. Who cares? Would you veto a Foster for MJD trade now because MJD was taken in the first round? I didn't think so..

This trade is fine unless you know that the owners colluded to pool talent to one team.

I get the argument against draft position...like I said above I was interested in knowing..."ultimately...just based on the players involved...is this deal fair enough to go through or would you veto it?".

With that said, I think your last point is my bigger concern. As i mentioned, these guys are good friends. I just cant see how the 2-5 owner would ever make this deal if he was truly still trying to win this year. SJax has put up double digit fantasy points six out of seven weeks and has scored 90 fantasy points vs 65 points for Moss - who has only put up double digits three times this year. SJax to Moss is a downgrade. F.Jones and MLynch are a wash so there is appears to be no, or limited, upgrade there. The TEs are a wash. So, the owner just gave away his best player for three guys that reduce his teams ability to put up points each week.

Maybe he sees something in Moss I do not or believes F.Jones is going to see fewer eight man fronts now that Romo is out of the way.

This trade is not vetoable. Maybe this guy knows something you dont about the players involved? Maybe he values the players more than you do? Not everyone thinks the same way thats why you have to let people run their team. Can you prove its cheating besides just saying that the 2 involved are "friends"? If not, you cant veto this trade.

Edited by jbran23

This trade is not vetoable. Maybe this guy knows something you dont about the players involved? Maybe he values the players more than you do? Not everyone thinks the same way thats why you have to let people run their team. Can you prove its cheating besides just saying that the 2 involved are "friends"? If not, you cant veto this trade.

The trade really doesn't appear that lopsided, but the above is is my exact stance on nearly any trade. Unless the trade just SCREAMS collusion, and every person in your league and this forum agrees, then it should not be vetoable.

But if it's really a big concern to owners in your league and vetoing is the norm, then ask the owner why he made the trade. If it's legitimate, then he should have no problem defending why he values these players over those others...

But in the end, value is a very subjective thing that differs from person to person. Should the NFL have overturned Jerry Jones' trade of a 1st rounder for bust Roy Williams? Of course not, because at the time, he believed it improved his team, and he could have been right.

Only with hindsight can you really say if a trade was good or not. If Steven Jackson gets injured tomorrow, is it a bad trade then? It should not be up to your competitors to be the "fairness police" for your team, and in fact, this only stands to allow for bias in whether to veto or not.

JMO though