[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blount or Rice?

tiger20

I am concerned about rice losing touches to the td vulture and blount going against a stiffer d.

I to have the same quesiton.........................blount or rice. Although I could go with greene in det. not sure.............................

BUT...is rice really a stud this year? I'm losing faith.

Rice has put up about 120 yards a week the past three weeks. Yes, the TD numbers are lower, but he is posting solid yardage totals. Blount has exactly two weeks of FF relevant play, and he is averaging about 100 YPG combined. Do the math and Rice is 2-3 points ahead just on yardage in standard scoring. Each player has scored just two TDs this year, each within the l;ast three weeks, so that is a wash. Rice definitely has a better matchup this week as far as defenses.

I just think it's closer than that...and I'm not sold on the Falcons defense being better against the run than the Dolphins. The 'Phins give up an average of 3.8 ypc and the Falcons give up 4.1. And I'm sort of worried about the lack of production Rice had against the BILLS for crying out loud.

I just think it's closer than that...and I'm not sold on the Falcons defense being better against the run than the Dolphins. The 'Phins give up an average of 3.8 ypc and the Falcons give up 4.1. And I'm sort of worried about the lack of production Rice had against the BILLS for crying out loud.

Not to be a smartass, but why are you asking the question, then? It seems like your mind is made up already.

Rice was averaging over 5 yards a carry against the Bills. Not his fault the Ravens defense forgot to show up and forced the offense to throw the whole game.

i would pick rice over blount for week 9, especially since blount is running against a really tough ATL run defense. they are ranked #6 against the run. plus, blount will be playing IN atlanta so that's always a factor. rice is playing home, so that might help as well.

p.s. Miami has an 11th ranked run defense.

Edited by adakow

It is not as clear cut as you think. Here is the Dissenting Opinions from Yahoo Experts... Breakdown for Blount vs the ATL Run Defesnse

LeGarrette Blount – Behrens RB rank 12, Yahoo! composite rank 17

After these last two weeks, I'm not sure what else you need to see from Blount. The rookie gained 192 yards on 33 carries in Weeks 7 and 8, he found the end zone twice, and he's demonstrated that he's much more than a short-yardage bruiser. If you have any doubts at all about Blount's skill set, I'd encourage you to the visit the tape room. This kid is now the featured back for Tampa Bay, and he's about to face an Atlanta run defense that allows 4.1 yards per carry. What's not to like?

Well, Funston and Evans think they've found something. They've each cited the same stat this week — here and here — while urging you to bench LeGarrette. Here's a quote from this week's Lames:

North-South runners have been stuffed against Hot-lanta this season. Peyton Hillis and Cedric Benson are prime examples. On the year, the Falcons have yielded just 2.9 yards per carry to rushers who’ve plodded up-the-gut, the third-lowest mark in the league. No mention of the fact that Hillis was injured when he faced the Falcons (and he still managed to score), but whatever. The point is, my colleagues are worried about the fact that opposing ball-carriers are gaining just 2.9 YPC on runs up the middle against Atlanta. This would be a serious concern for Blount if he were simply a straight-ahead, up-the-gut runner. But let's look at where his 43 carries have actually taken him so far this season (stats via Inside Edge): 18 rushes to the right (7.4 YPC), 15 to the left (4.3 YPC), and 10 up the middle (2.4 YPC).

We're not talking about a running back only works between the guards. Blount is legit. Trust the talent, trust the workload. Start him with confidence.

I would still play Rice this week; however, Blount is alot closer that it appears. If your going to start Bradshaw, hope for a close game and not a blow out for the Giants as Bradshaw tends to get pulled if they get up early by a lot of points. In this case, Jacobs takes over and Bradshaw gets little.

I favor Blount and Rice.

Throw your draft results out the window. You win FF based on the present, not what you expected out of a player before the season. Blount will get 20+ touches and share goal line carries with NO ONE. McGahee will always get RZ looks for the Ravens and Rice will be lucky to get 15 touches. Just playing devil's advocate here, but I would go with Blount.