[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

open letter to conservatives on QE

Azazello1313

this is pretty good, key quote...

I don’t think conservatives realized it at the time, but I (and a few other quasi-monetarists) had the strongest argument against fiscal stimulus in late 2008 and early 2009. We said; “Yes, stimulus is needed, but monetary stimulus is much more effective and less costly than deficit spending.” At the time, most on the left argued that monetary stimulus wouldn’t work if rates were near zero. Well rates are still near zero, and many of those same liberals are now insisting that the Fed is responsible for fixing the AD shortfall. They’ve come over to our side. Just as in earlier decades they gradually accepted the Friedman/Schwartz argument that monetary policy errors caused the Great Contraction of 1929-33, not the failures of capitalism. If conservatives keep predicting inflation that the financial markets don’t see, Krugamn will continue to rub their faces in failed predictions. If we adopt the view that monetary policy is the appropriate way to keep NGDP growing at an adequate rate, then we win and Krugman loses. So which will it be?

this is pretty good, key quote...

I still don't understand why the government didn't use a lot of the money they were pumping into the economy to pay off a few months worth of mortgages which were in trouble (thus bailing out the banks - AND - helping the public) instead of just bailing out the banks (helping folk who make ten figure bonuses).

Dude... I don't agree with bailing out anyone. Dead beats or the banks.

I can't say that I do either, but between the two, it seems like the better idea. I mean, folk are still losing their houses, the banks are still being stingy and bank CEOs are still getting retarded bonuses.

I can't say that I do either, but between the two, it seems like the better idea. I mean, folk are still losing their houses, the banks are still being stingy and bank CEOs are still getting retarded bonuses.

:wacko:

maybe this "stimulus" money is going to the wrong place.....just a hunch..

I think that inflation is going to be a very big issue in 2011. According to some folks I know in the industry, the Dodd-Frank bill is expected to make money much more expensive to get, and those increases costs will never affect the banks (a cost plus type provider), which means that they will be getting passed on to businesses, and built into the price of goods, etc.

Apparently many business owners are borrowing like crazy right now to get ahead of those costs.