[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

segregation hits 100 year lows

Azazello1313

this is interesting

Atlanta is one of several predominantly Southern and Western cities that showed a noticeable integration trend over the last five years as both middle-class blacks and whites moved into each other's neighborhoods, according to the Census Bureau's American Community Survey of 10 million Americans, released Tuesday. The ACS is the largest demographic survey ever done in the United States.

The shift is part of a "complicated story with lots of nuances" that includes changes in social attitudes, the emergence of new housing and economic opportunity, and an age gap that shows young America is dramatically more diverse – and open to diversity – than older generations, says Kenneth Johnson, a demographer at the University of New Hampshire, in Durham.

"Whether you like it or not, [the new figures] show that change is coming," says Mr. Johnson.

Seventy-five percent of the largest 100 US metro areas showed neighborhood segregation rates slipping to levels not seen for more than a century. That's an important finding as race looks to figure in upcoming Congressional redistricting battles.

"Milwaukee, Detroit, and Syracuse, N.Y., were among the most segregated, all part of areas in the Northeast and Midwest known by some demographers as the 'ghetto belt,'" according to the Associated Press. "On the other end of the scale, cities that were least likely to be segregated included Fort Myers, Fla., Honolulu, Atlanta and Miami."

Judging by one of the ultimate arbiters of race relations – where people decide to live – the prominence of racial differences in society appears to be subsiding in a dramatic way, the new Census figures suggest. Ethnic integration failed to show the same kind of gains.

It isn't that the North, which has lagged behind the South and West in integration rates, has dramatically different attitudes on race. Rather, new housing and job opportunities in the South and West have helped to spur integration there.

Not at all surprising to me. I think I have even posited here that the South is much more integrated and less racist than is any other part of the country.

I have spent a great deal of time in Baltimore, Detroit, Indianapolis and Grand Rapids/Holland, MI and honestly believed that the differences in integration and acceptance of minorities is a stark contrast. Throughout my life, in metro Atlanta, I have had black, hispanic, asian, you name it, neighbors and classmates. We grew up together, went to school together, played sports together, etc... These other cities that I referred to, not so much. I'd have to drive around my neighborhood in Holland for a week to see a person of dark skin (Hell, they get mad as hell when a pollock moves into the neighborhood.) Baltimore is the same, very diverse population, very heavily segregated, same for Detroit. Also, my friends in relatives in these areas are much more, let's call it prejudiced, than the bulk of people I know in the south. The prejudice in these other areas is more closeted and underhanded whereas in the south the small groups that are truly racist are vocal and get media coverage (the media is actively perpetuating a stereotype.)