[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Mess that is the Chargers

tazinib1

OK. Bring it on... :wacko::tup:

Wrote this is the other Chargers thread:

I find the chargers to be the NFL's most perplexing team. They never seem to show heart when it counts. 13-3, one and done at home. 14-2, one and done at home. Now losing to the bengals with the season on the line. And not losing, but getting it handed to them.

There's something institutionalized about their losing ways. I say this with the understanding of a Cubs fan. I think along with Turner, you need to blow up and rebuild to get rid of whatever as this team as configured isn't cutting it.

Wrote this is the other Chargers thread:

There is merit in this, but it has been done quite a few times over the years (and despite the perception, the Spanos family has not been cheap with the players or the facilities they provide). Now is not the time to blow it up, and I think the circumstances of the year, again, had more to do with what happened than the coaches or front office. You can't keep pumping as many players through the locker room over a season the way the Chargers had to and expect a lot of success. Continuity is as important as luck. I may not see it the way most do, but there are 31 other teams trying to win a championship. Anyone who has been in the system will tell you that good luck/fortune is a HUGH part of winning a championship. Preparation, continuity and luck = a successful campaign.

There are a few teams that for whatever reason seem to get more bad luck than good, and as a long suffering Charger fan, I can tell you that they are one of those teams.

As a child, I was a fan (because of where we lived, etc.) of the Steelers and the Dolphins throughout their glory years. I actually saw the Dolphins in the old NY Giants stadium the year they went undefeated.

I was almost 13 when we moved to San Diego and have been a Charger fan since then (37 years now). I have lived and seen a lot of football and have the scars and "cricks" to show for it. They are not "my" Chargers, they are the team I root for. As I get older, it makes it easier to be pragmatic about them and less emotionally attached.

I have never understood the concept of "My Ravens", or "We are going to the Super Bowl". I have always felt that is reserved for those who play, coach and own the team (maybe Packer fans have more of a right to the "we" concept).