[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Send your kids to college ... or not ...

muck

My wife and I, our kids and how we view a 4yr college education.  

17 members have voted

1. 1. My kids...

• Will go straight from HS to a four year university, come hell or high water.
    • My kids will NOT go straight from HS to a four year university, come hell or high water.
    • I have more than one kid and one or more will go and one or more will NOT go straight to a four year university.
  2. 2. If my kids go to a 4yr university straight from HS...

• Go to the most prestigious one they get in
    • Go to the cheapest one with a reasonable or better reputation
    • None of my kids are going straight to a 4yr school
    • One or more of my kids will probably go straight to a 4yr school and one or more will not
  3. 3. If my kids do NOT go to a 4yr university straight from HS...

• they will go to a JUCO for a year or two first, then a 4yr school
    • they will go to the military first, then a four year school
    • they will take a year or two off and travel, then a four year school
    • they will start a business, then a four year school
    • they will work at a non-profit for a year or two, then a four year school
    • they will do something else not listed above, then a four year school
    • I have more than one kid who will probably not go straight to a 4yr school from HS, and each one will do something different before going to a 4yr school
    • they will do one of the things above excepting they will probably never go to a four year school
    • each of my kids will be going to a four year school straight from HS
  4. 4. I will feel I let my kids down if I can't afford for them to go to the 4yr school of their choice straight out of HS

• True
    • False
  5. 5. I will feel I let my kids down if I require them to do something other than go straight from HS to a four year school.

• True
    • False

For the record, and subject to change, my preference is:

* Homeschool through their senior year, finishing 'early' at 16-17 years of age.

* Attend a local JUCO for 1-2 years filling out the 'intro level' stuff they'll need later on

* 1-2 years in service to others, preferrably outside the country (military or volunteer/missions) --- not to start until they're 18yrs old

* Attend a local JUCO for another year, preferrably while they are working part-time in a business they've started

* Head to a "four year" school at 19-21 years of age with at least half of their undergraduate credits in the rear-view-mirror ... working part-time in the field they think they want to be in full-time while finishing the remainder of their degree over 2-3 years of year-round pursuit. Preferrably, their degree will be in the humanities (philosophy, literature, etc.) -- something requiring lots of writing -- and they will have minored in something more technical (biology, accounting, etc.) -- something requiring research and details.

... except my 11.5 yr old daughter has started asking questions about Julliard ... I have no ideas about how that fits into my little plan ...

Edited by muck

Whatever gains my doppelganger made in his 20s I will meet or surpass in my 30s. When my blue-collar doppelganger's aching back can no longer do heavy lifting in his 50s, I will be in my prime income-earning years. During the course of my career I will make more, be able to work longer, and be more intellectually stimulated.

That is kinda sad. :wacko:

So motivated by $$$ and success. Hopefully you don't die early, or get to be 60 and wonder where your life went. It's people like you who always talk about how awesome college was. It's all you have.

PS --- Remember that Michael Dell, Bill Gates, Richard Branson and Mark Zuckerberg did not finish their undergraduate degree ... much less their graduate degree ...

Fine and dandy for these four entrepreneurs but we're talking tens of millions of people here. They can't all invent Windows, Virgin, Facebook or direct market PCs.

exactly, which is why it's a fallacy to compare their salaries, rates of unemployment, etc. in trying to discern the value of a college education. it's almost like saying that people who drive BMW's are, on average, smarter and harder working than people who drive toyota tercels, therefore you'll make more money if you trade in your tercel for a beamer.

I see what you did there.