[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cool story

whomper

By Evan Brunell

The year 2010 was supposed to be a great year for Ron Johnson.

After years heaped upon years managing through the minor leagues, Ron Johnson finally reached the bigs when he was named first-base coach for the Red Sox after being promoted from managing Boston's Triple-A affiliate.

Except, in August, Johnson received news that no one ever does -- his 11-year-old daughter had been in a car accident and lost her leg. Bridget was riding a horse along a road when a car came around the corner too fast and collided with the horse. The horse had to be put down and Bridget lost a leg that her body later rejected when it was reattached. Now, she makes use of a prosthetic leg.

Johnson had to struggle with mounting medical bills for surgery, getting the prosthetic leg and rehabilitation. The Red Sox organization and players chipped in with generous checks, but the medical bills were still overwhelming.

And in stepped Boston's century-old rival team in the Yankees to save the day. Hitting coach Kevin Long, who played under Johnson in the mid-1990s and got his first coaching job due to Johnson's recommendation and perseverance, gathered the team for a meeting one day in September to outline the tragic story and ask for help.

"Our friendship is deep. It goes way, way back," Long explained to the Wall Street Journal. "Friends aren't just there for the good times, they're there when things go backwards on you. Anything I could help him with, I wanted to do."

The players, touched, opened up their own wallets and while none will reveal how much they contributed, it is said they were just as generous as Red Sox players in writing checks.

"He came to us, and you could hear it in K-Long's voice how important it was to him," pitcher A.J. Burnett said. "You just wanted to help in any way you can. We're a huge family here. Whether you're a Yankee or anybody else, we're all in it together.''

Now, some Yankees keep up with Bridget's prospects through Long, and when the two teams meet Friday for the first time this spring, you can bet Johnson will cross the line to personally thank the Yankee players who fished out their wallets and handed money over to Johnson.

"When we play the Yankees, and you see me going up and thanking some guys, don't think I'm just going over to [chat] with them," Johnson said, laughing.

It just goes to show you that while tempers may flare in between the foul lines (or in the Cubs' case, in the home dugout) and it can be fun to root against your team's bitter rivals, it's far more rewarding to watch these rival teams come together and make a positive difference in someone's life.

I love sports the best when you wish the worst upon your opponent, want to kick their fan's a$$, and hope they suffer endlessly in the defeat - All while realizing that deep down, we are all the same, have the same problems, and have different teams to root for. I HATE when having different favorite teams gets to a serious level.

Except Vikings fans: GO TO HE L L!