[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer Gurus

i_am_the_swammi

My dad has a 2004 Dell Inspiron 1100. When he turns it on, he gets a message that states "unable to load hard disk drive 0 found", with the further message to hit F1 to try to reload or F2 for Bios (?).

When he hits F2, it brings up the specs of the unit, and next to Hard Disk Drive, it says "None". I am guessing his hard drive is shot, but I have no way of knowing.

So my questions are:

1. Is it worth getting it repaired? I googled new hard drives for this unit, and new ones run $40-60, depending on size. Not sure the labor involved, what else would have to be done (reinstalling software, drivers, windows, etc.)

2. Is it easy enough to do it myself?

3. They bought the very basic Inspiron...128 MB of memory. NO internal wireless modem, so they have a plug-in wireless card, but it is slow (or ran slow on the old hard drive...maybe new hard drive would speed it up?)

4. Is the machine worth saving for what their needs are? Or do they need something more current?

They had done very little on it over the years....not much in the way of additional software, just used it for browsing the web and some basic Word Docs.

My dad has a 2004 Dell Inspiron 1100. When he turns it on, he gets a message that states "unable to load hard disk drive 0 found", with the further message to hit F1 to try to reload or F2 for Bios (?).

When he hits F2, it brings up the specs of the unit, and next to Hard Disk Drive, it says "None". I am guessing his hard drive is shot, but I have no way of knowing.

So my questions are:

1. Is it worth getting it repaired? I googled new hard drives for this unit, and new ones run $40-60, depending on size. Not sure the labor involved, what else would have to be done (reinstalling software, drivers, windows, etc.)

2. Is it easy enough to do it myself?

3. They bought the very basic Inspiron...128 MB of memory. NO internal wireless modem, so they have a plug-in wireless card, but it is slow (or ran slow on the old hard drive...maybe new hard drive would speed it up?)

4. Is the machine worth saving for what their needs are? Or do they need something more current?

They had done very little on it over the years....not much in the way of additional software, just used it for browsing the web and some basic Word Docs.

128 MB?

Dump it and buy a new one. Absolute waste of time and effort trying to repair a 7 year old PC.

128 MB?

Dump it and buy a new one. Absolute waste of time and effort trying to repair a 7 year old PC.

I second the motion. If you stick with Dell, you should be able to get just a box, unless he/you want(s) all brand new stuff.

+3

It's broke. Don't waste your time trying to fix it.

128 MB?

Good info here.

Then again, I'm itchin' to build another computer since we are moving so I'm a little trigger happy at the moment! :wacko:

Thanks guys...that's pretty much what I was thinking. Between the low MB, fried HD, external wireless card, battery that won't charge...I figured we'd have to put more time and money into it than it was worth.

I looked on EBAY for kicks, and used models sold for $60-100...for the whole laptop in "working" condition. :wacko:

128 MB?

Ursa is wise.