[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So my Kaspersky expired yesterday...

Puddy

I use it and my company uses it at work. It isn't an area I'd want to skimp on. Others may disagree.

+1

I use it at work. I also subscribe to Carbonite.com for backups. I think the price of these products is pretty reasonable for the piece of mind you get.

Edited by SayItAintSoJoe

Avast and Malwarebytes are great free options. Zona Alarm free is another good option.

However, I've been using Norton 360 for a year now and I'm pretty happy with it.

Use whatever you're comfortable with. For my PCs, I just use Avast and also run House Call periodically. AVG is out there too. Concern I see with the free ones, and personal experience as well with AVG, is some malware is written specifically for the free ones so they won't detect some viruses. But then again, I feel very comfortable with my associated risk based on my browsing habits.

Now, for people like my parents, they're using Norton 360. They'll click any link, even if it says in big, bold letters - DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK. Norton is better for them.

One disadvantage I see with using Norton or McAfee is they tend to bog down a PC, being a resource hog (how many people tend to have more than 4GB of memory, which IMHO, is a minimum of what's needed for Vista or 7, plus Norton/McAfee?).

Just my $0.02.

ETA: forgot about Panda Security as well. TrendMicro is the free online scanner I use (House Call) but they have a "pay" version also.

Edited by lennykravitz2004

Have you ever used Norton Internet Security? How does that stack up against Kaspersky?

I used to use Norton all the time but it became so bloated under Symantec (a company that has a tendency to turn gold into chit, similar to CA) that it reduced performance by at least a third. I also found it too dumbed down for my tastes. It's a good program and I understand they've taken steps to reduce the performance hit but I personally wouldn't go back to it.

I used to use Norton all the time but it became so bloated under Symantec (a company that has a tendency to turn gold into chit, similar to CA) that it reduced performance by at least a third. I also found it too dumbed down for my tastes. It's a good program and I understand they've taken steps to reduce the performance hit but I personally wouldn't go back to it.

+1 I just can't forgive them for the crappy product I paid for years back.

Thanks for the responses...just renewed the Kaspersky. Upgraded from their Internet Security to their Pure software (has a few more bells and whistles). Price came down since I renewed for two years. $99.95 for two years plus I searched online for a coupon code that saved me $10. Kaspersky2011 is the code if anyone is in the market.