[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kolb seeking mega-contract deal with new team

Bronco Billy

exactly, so when he says he wants a new contract for being a starting QB, he's not exactly asking for the moon because he barely made minimum wage for what his position requires...

:wacko:

right, cause the 13 million bonus didn't count

:tup:

no, that was only for when he started....and I thought it was 11 mil....

and my point " :lol: " was being that he is slated to not make much money this year....he wasn't guaranteed that 11 mil unless he started which he would be set to do elsewhere ......

so if he starts for another team and makes about "13 mil" a year, isn't that about the going rate anyways?.....not to mention that the pay scale is constantly going up as it is....

I don't get what you were going for with that post :wacko:

:wacko:

How long was Kolb's contract? You need to divide that bonus over that stretch and add it to his base (which seems to be about 1.5). That's his salary per year and would seem to certainly be on the low side for a starting QB. That's the only point.

The Philadelphia Eagles have given quarterback Kevin Kolb another vote of confidence, extending his contract by one year, the team announced Thursday.

The deal is worth $12.26 million, all of it guaranteed, over the next two seasons. Included in that sum is a signing bonus of $10.7 million, a source close to the player told ESPN.com's Matt Mosley.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5148880

SO he got 12.26 mil for 2010 and 2011. That's over 6 mil a year by my math :wacko:

pretty good money for an unproven back-up

Edit- Not sure where the "only if starting" part comes from?

Edited by Zooty

The Philadelphia Eagles have given quarterback Kevin Kolb another vote of confidence, extending his contract by one year, the team announced Thursday.

The deal is worth $12.26 million, all of it guaranteed, over the next two seasons. Included in that sum is a signing bonus of $10.7 million, a source close to the player told ESPN.com's Matt Mosley.

SO he got 12.26 mil for 2010 and 2011. That's over 6 mil a year by my math :wacko:

I don't think there's any "only if starting" clause. Rather, the assumption was that he got the extension (and in particular) the bonus because he had been named the starter. I doubt Philly would have thrown that 10.7 million at him if he hadn't shown them enough to feel they could move McNabb out of town.

And let's not confuse the issue, him earning the starting job was far different than someone in Oakland or Cleveland or AZ earning the starting job by default because everyone other QB sucks and they're just saying, "Screw it, let's give Kolb a shot and see if he's any better." Philly seemed to think that they'd found their guy and were ready to start paying him like a starting QB (they just didn't realize that Vick was going to be as good as he turned out to be). The article you link shows they specifically didn't extend beyond 2011 because of the uncertainty with the CBA.

And, even at $6 million, that's still on the low side for a starting QBs, at least ones who aren't just keeping the seat warm until a team finds the guy they really want.

SO he got 12.26 mil for 2010 and 2011. That's over 6 mil a year by my math :tup:

:wacko: he was given the bonus as the starting QB....C'MON MAN....stop it...

:wacko: he was given the bonus as the starting QB....C'MON MAN....stop it...

How much do you want to give him?

My point is he isn't ONLY making 1.6 mil (or what ever it is). He's making that plus half the bonus

How much do you want to give him?

My point is he isn't ONLY making 1.6 mil (or what ever it is). He's making that plus half the bonus

I'd say consistently around 12 mil a year is his market value if a team wants him to start.....how that is perceived is opinion based as to whether or not that is smart - who knows?...

but if he's going to be had for a 1st rounder or even a 2nd and an additional pick, he should make around 12+ mil a year....hopefully he pans out for his new team, because I'd like to see that, but it all depends on where he goes.....

if he goes to a team with a very good OL, I think he'll shine regardless......he just needs to be able to get into a rhythm because he has the confidence to be a quality QB imo if he has somewhat decent weapons around him with strong protection...

if he can get 14 mil a year, that's a win for him imo...