[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are lawyers/judges becoming too powerful?

gbpfan1231

I'll try to be brief.

I'm a lawyer. People (called clients) come to me for a variety of problems, for which (I hope) they pay me. I represent them. I have a duty to them . If I make a mistake, I may have to answer to them. Its my livelihood. Its called the practice of law.

A policitican with a law degree is a politician. A meat cutter with a law degree is meat cutter. A law degree is merely an opening to becoming a lawyer. One still has to pass a bar exam. One still has to become admitted to the bar. And then there is the thing about practicing.

If your only exposure to the law was recieved in law school, you would have no real idea of how to practice law. You probably have little or no understanding of the local court rules or laws unique to the state in which the school is located. No understanding as to how the local courts work. No idea of how to set up a practice. No idea as to how to bill clients. Zip.

A person with a medical degree isn't a doctor. They are just getting started. After getting the degree, they have an internship. They have residency. They need to get a license. And, of course, they must practice.

There is little or no similarlty between/among a summer associates or law clerk position and an medical internship/residency. The former are voluntary part-time, often short term positions, while the latter are mandatory full time positions (4 years required).

I guess that it boils down to this: If you want to call someone with a law degree that doesn't practice law a lawyer, go right ahead. It sure doesn't make any sense to me.

As I understood the matter years ago one was a lawyer upon obtaining a law degree, one was an attorney after passing or being admitted to the bar. Perhaps this was never the distinction, or perhaps it is a distinction without meaning.

Carry on.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic