[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Corp of Engineers

nuke'em ttg

Fine work by the corp of engineers!

ETA: The water level in these photos is 1430 feet above sea level.

How timely!

I live in Pierre, SD and because we are small and not very populated we are not getting the national coverage other floods have gotten. Pierre is down stream from the second largest earthen dam in the world Oahe Dam. The Missouri River Dam system was created for flood control and this year they have flood controlled themselves into record levels. Average output for Oahe Dam is 25,000 cfs (cubic feet per second). We are currently at 85,000 and by next Tuesday, June 7, we will be at 150,000 cfs. Our city, state and the corp are building emergency levees right now. They are supposed to be done by Thursday, when they increase to 100,000 cfs. Final elevation is supposed to be 1434 ft above sea level, but I don't trust them. I spent the weekend moving people out of their homes and helping sand bag others. I understand the flood plain thing, but with a dam over a mile wide three miles away, you would think you wouldn't have to worry about it unless it broke, then we would all be Ginsued anyway. I am fortunate to live on the hill with a view of the dam.

The ironic thing is the worst flood the city has every seen was in 1952 prior to the dam being built. We will exceed that level by two feet.

Unfortunately, we are going to be sending a lot more water your way when the rain stops and the 1000% snow pack starts melting.

Edited by wirehairman

Unfortunately, we are going to be sending a lot more water your way when the rain stops and the 1000% snow pack starts melting.

We keep hearing that and it is a concern. The Governor asked that the people in the flooding area evacuate by Thurs at 8 pm.

Apparently this guy feels the same as some of you.

looks like china :wacko:

"Dam" would have been spelled differently if it were China.

ETA: It would have looked something like one of these.

蓄水库, 贮存器, 贮水池, 储藏所, or 仓库

Edited by SEC=UGA

I'm no engineer, but it seems to me that altering the natural course of water is a monumental task.

+1. I't s a logistical nightmare and residents are generally only concerned about their stretch of the river, when every action can have a chain reaction of consequences for a thousand plus miles.

The former Governor stated, "But he does say someone should have known an unprecedented event was coming, and someone should have done something a lot sooner. "

The last half of May, we had a rainfall event that dumped more than the average annual rainfall in less than two week across large portions of Montana and North Dakota. The Corps was preparing for the runoff from record snowfall, but I don't think its realistic to have expected the Corps to predict such a rainfall event.