[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pa. woman sues Dunkin' Donuts over sugar in coffee

buddahj

Do you think there is no chance she is lying, or, at the very least blaming DD when there is a possibility they did provide her with the drink ordered and she took in the sugar elsewhere, either on purpose or on accident?

Do you really think that she would risk killing herself? That is the first conclusion you jump to?

I am much more likely to think that a minimum wage worker that may have difficulty understanding english (all teh Dunkin Donuts in my area are owned and run by people from central Asia . . India, Pakistan, etc) put the wrong sweetener in than someone risking DEATH to file a lawsuit in the slim hope of a payday. Granted, all the facts are not yet known, but in this instance it seems like a mistake is more likely. The woman should have been more attentive and maybe put the sweetner in herself, but that is another issue.

Which seems more likely to you? :wacko:

Like someone else mentioned, if you're not sure, you order it black and add it yourself.

I can't help but agree with this. Given that the staff at fast fooderies aren't exactly from the Einstein end of the IQscale, plus they aren't really paying much attention at the end of an eight hour shift, for damn sure I'd be having my coffee with nothing added and would carry my sweetener in the car.

That said, regardless of anything else, in exchange for the money you pass over to them, all businesses have a duty of care.

Do you really think that she would risk killing herself? That is the first conclusion you jump to?

I am much more likely to think that a minimum wage worker that may have difficulty understanding english (all teh Dunkin Donuts in my area are owned and run by people from central Asia . . India, Pakistan, etc) put the wrong sweetener in than someone risking DEATH to file a lawsuit in the slim hope of a payday. Granted, all the facts are not yet known, but in this instance it seems like a mistake is more likely. The woman should have been more attentive and maybe put the sweetner in herself, but that is another issue.

Which seems more likely to you? :wacko:

I think the most likely conclusion is that something accidental happened, whether from the coffee or another source. We don't know everything she ingested that day. We don't know if she did anything out of the ordinary that can trigger diabetic shock, such as skipping a meal, not eating at the normal times she does, an increase in her physical activity, missing her insulin, or taking it at a different time than usual or even drinking alcohol without eating.

Another interesting thing I have noticed after reading a bit more is that all of the symptoms she states (dizziness and lightheadedness) are more common with hypoglycemia, or LOW blood sugar.

Again, not saying she is lying or did this on purpose, just saying that something just doesn't seem to pass the sniff test with this one.

Honestly, if a couple of packs of sugar can cause you any real and significant problem, then you really should refuse service and put the artificial sweetener in yourself so you know for a fact what's in there.

People make mistakes, why chance it?

In retrospect, I guess the more I think about this, the more I agree with this sentiment. "If you want something done right, you should do it yourself." And I think my Mom pretty much does that with her food and drink anyway. She's "that person" at the restaurant asking a jillion questions. We, as a family know why she's asking, but she usually throws out the old "I'm diabetic" comment so the server/counter person is aware as well. I (ahem) "assumed" that since she's fanatical about her condition, that all other diabetics are as well.

Being a bit ignorant about diabetes, I have a couple of questions. Will, say, three packets of sugar send you spiraling into diabetic shock, really? And why couldn't she just pop herself with a couple cycles of insulin and head the whole thing off before it gets rolling to the point of shock? I can immediately tell the difference between the taste of sugar and equal/sweet n low/Splenda etc... You'd think this person would have picked up on the taste difference as well, no?

Edited by SEC=UGA

Being a bit ignorant about diabetes, I have a couple of questions. Will, say, three packets of sugar send you spiraling into diabetic shock, really? And why couldn't she just pop herself with a couple cycles of insulin and head the whole thing off before it gets rolling to the point of shock? I can immediately tell the difference between the taste of sugar and equal/sweet n low/Splenda etc... You'd think this person would have picked up on the taste difference as well, no?

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Get with the program, will ya? Isn't it obvious she's a welfare ho and therefore spends her money on cigs and booze, thus destroying her sense of taste?

Sometimes I worry about how you'll keep your right wing :wacko: credentials up to date.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Get with the program, will ya? Isn't it obvious she's a welfare ho and therefore spends her money on cigs and booze, thus destroying her sense of taste?

Sometimes I worry about how you'll keep your right wing :wacko: credentials up to date.

Well, I know she is probably an African American woman who spent her government insulin check on OE 800, Kool's and a few black and milds, as well as this cup of delicious dunkin donuts coffee.

What I'm really trying to figure out is if what happened to her is even possible after ingesting, what I would consider, a seemingly small amount of sugar (two to three packets for example.) And, if an amount of sugar, as outlined, would send her into shock? And, if this were the case, why someone with such a potentially debilitating disease wouldn't have some insulin with her to help bring things under control in such an emergency?

I am also curious about another thing, say she said "I want sweetner in it." I know that DD asks how many, I usually get two as I don't favor coffee that much. Two packets of any artificial sweetner in anything has a VERY distinct (and overpowering) taste to it. It would have been very difficult, IMO, to not detect the extremely apparent difference. Even a crack addled, federally subsidized apartment living, chain smoking, chicken head of a woman would be able to tell the difference.

I really am suspicious as to how a little bit of sugar, when I have seen diabetics drink copious amounts of wine, margaritas, beer, etc... could have such catastrophic effects.

ETA: Did my remarks help me to earn back some of my right wing cred?

Edited by SEC=UGA

What I'm really trying to figure out is if what happened to her is even possible after ingesting, what I would consider, a seemingly small amount of sugar (two to three packets for example.)

I really don't know about amounts of sugar but I would guess it varies. I do know that we had to have a total latex-free zone for four years at my local HS because one of the students was so latex-intolerant that even a balloon in the same part of the building could be fatal. The same applies for extreme peanut allergies too - even microscopic amounts can be extremely dangerous in a confined space such as an aircraft.

So, possible? I would imagine it is.