[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Laptop running hot

darin3

I have a Toshiba Satellite, and over the past couple of weeks I've noticed it running hot. So much so that it makes it a little uncomfortable to use, as the areas to the left and right of the mouse pad, where you rest your palms, is pretty warm.

I Googled the issue and one result pointed me to these

Has anyone ever had this problem? I know that I should also use some canned air to clean out the air vents. I'm pretty sure the fan is still working, but how do I know for sure?

Has anyone used these cooling pads? Thoughts?

I miss h8. :wacko:

Edited by darin3

What processes are running on your system? In my experience, when the laptop get hot like that, it's usually an application or file which is causing the system (cpu) to work like a crazy. For example, I open a spreadsheet at work which I update with stock quotes (using M$FT stock quote formula) throughout the day, and this causes my laptop to churn out heat when that file is open, to the point I can hear the fan going all day. Have you installed a new app in the past few weeks?

Edited by lennykravitz2004

What processes are running on your system? In my experience, when the laptop get hot like that, it's usually an application or file which is causing the system (cpu) to work like a crazy. For example, I open a spreadsheet at work which I update with stock quotes (using M$FT stock quote formula) throughout the day, and this causes my laptop to churn out heat when that file is open, to the point I can hear the fan going all day. Have you installed a new app in the past few weeks?

:wacko:

I really only use Firefox and Thunderbird (Mozilla's email program) during the day.

That said, when I cntrl-alt-del to see what processes are running, it's a hugh list. I'm sure there are things running that don't need to be.

Unfortunately this is where my tech savvy comes to a screeching halt. :lol:

I haven't installed anything new. Is there a way to test my computer's fan? I don't recall hearing it lately. :tup:

Edited by darin3

I'd blow out the air vents with some compressed air first. If that doesn't help, does your laptop use more than 2 fans? If so, one could not be working and the other is overcompensating.

I am having the same issue, I uninstalled Firefox and have been on the computer for about twenty minutes and the fan hasn't come on. I posted a new topic like a newbie before seeing this one. I look forward to the replies here.

E2A: From my post: My laptop gets very hot with Firefox, it went away and things seemed to be better. Now I have been impressed with Google Chrome, but I was have Mrs. Rebellab use that and I used Firefox, so we didn't have to log in and out of facebook, gmail, etc. So how do I use two chromes, or how do I make it so Firefox doesn't smoke my laptop?

Edited by Rebellab

I am having the same issue, I uninstalled Firefox and have been on the computer for about twenty minutes and the fan hasn't come on. I posted a new topic like a newbie before seeing this one. I look forward to the replies here.

E2A: From my post: My laptop gets very hot with Firefox, it went away and things seemed to be better. Now I have been impressed with Google Chrome, but I was have Mrs. Rebellab use that and I used Firefox, so we didn't have to log in and out of facebook, gmail, etc. So how do I use two chromes, or how do I make it so Firefox doesn't smoke my laptop?

Not 100% on the same browser/two users deal. Maybe another Huddler with some good knowledge can give some insight (Ursa?). As far as I know, you'd need two separate browsers (Chrome and IE9 or Opera or Safari?). Do you know what version of Firefox you were running? I know some here said the latest version of FF was more stable and didn't cause these types of problems. What you describe is what was happening to me, so I ditched FF and went to Chrome too. No looking back for me. My issue was memory leak with FF causing my old laptop to go crazy hot, especially since I liked to have multiple tabs open all day and not shut down the laptop.

Darin, I'd bet this is your issue as well. Try the same thing. Don't have to uninstall FF, just don't open it. Try using Chrome or IE for a bit for comparison's sake.

D/L CoreTemp and run it and see what the actual temps are. It's easy to use and can be set for F/C. If it's <145oF it's probably OK.

It says its running at a high of 133 right now, but I literally just popped the screen up and downloaded the program. After a few hours' use we'll see what it's at. :wacko:

Thanks RR!

I think a cooling pad is in my future.

It says its running at a high of 133 right now, but I literally just popped the screen up and downloaded the program. After a few hours' use we'll see what it's at. :wacko:

Thanks RR!

I think a cooling pad is in my future.

Blowing it out should help. Do it check the temp again. The cooling pad should help also.

Good Luck.

Hmm, now at 142, and it doesn't feel nearly as hot as it has gotten in the past few days.

I'm thinking I'll need to go buy some canned air if the wifey can't "borrow" some from work.

And perhaps a cooling pad thingy is in my future... :wacko:

There are a few fan control apps out there that work really well for both PC and Macs. I use SMCFan control on my Macbook pro and my wife uses one from Intell on her Dell. The more processes running cause the device to get pretty hot. Just remember to turn the fans back down when your not using the PC. Usually a setting about 2600 rpm does the trick to keep things down around 110°. The get pretty warm when we're watching, uh, movies. :wacko:

There are a few fan control apps out there that work really well for both PC and Macs. I use SMCFan control on my Macbook pro and my wife uses one from Intell on her Dell. The more processes running cause the device to get pretty hot. Just remember to turn the fans back down when your not using the PC. Usually a setting about 2600 rpm does the trick to keep things down around 110°. The get pretty warm when we're watching, uh, movies. :tup:

Apparently there is no such app available for Toshiba laptops... unless my Google research is completely wrong.

The highest the temp has been is 142, but I know it's felt hotter on my palms :wacko: a couple days ago.

I think I'll just get the cooling pad thingy.

Not 100% on the same browser/two users deal. Maybe another Huddler with some good knowledge can give some insight (Ursa?). As far as I know, you'd need two separate browsers (Chrome and IE9 or Opera or Safari?).

Should be possible to have the same browser running multiple sessions at the same time for different users simply by opening a new window (In FF, File/New Window).

FWIW, Firefox 4 is showing all the signs of over-engineering - too much resource usage, slowing down and less stability, plus the inevitable pointless reshuffling of where all the controls are.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Should be possible to have the same browser running multiple sessions at the same time for different users simply by opening a new window (In FF, File/New Window).

FWIW, Firefox 4 is showing all the signs of over-engineering - too much resource usage, slowing down and less stability, plus the inevitable pointless reshuffling of where all the controls are.

This issue definitely occurred after installing FF 4. I had to move a lot of the buttons back to where they originally were and should be.

Maybe I'll take Chrome for a test spin.

This issue definitely occurred after installing FF 4. I had to move a lot of the buttons back to where they originally were and should be.

Maybe I'll take Chrome for a test spin.

One other thing about FF - although there are tons of very cool and useful add-ons, WAY too many become incompatible as FF releases fix after fix after fix. I had an incredibly useful tool called TableTools that used to recognize an HTML table so you could easily dump it into Excel but that's long since joined the endless list of incompatibility.

Dumb question perhaps, but is the lap top on your lap or on the table. If this happens when it's on your lap maybe it's not getting proper ventilation?

Otherwise, maybe the fan is not running or running properly, maybe it's taken dust/hair/dirt in through the intake and wrapped itself around the fan? Can you see the fan? Maybe try taking the lap top apart carefully and check the operation of the fan.

If the fan is not working you are going to damage the lap top eventually, or even worse, start a fire.

Dumb question perhaps, but is the lap top on your lap or on the table. If this happens when it's on your lap maybe it's not getting proper ventilation?

Otherwise, maybe the fan is not running or running properly, maybe it's taken dust/hair/dirt in through the intake and wrapped itself around the fan? Can you see the fan? Maybe try taking the lap top apart carefully and check the operation of the fan.

If the fan is not working you are going to damage the lap top eventually, or even worse, start a fire.

:wacko: No, it's on a desk. I'll do the canned air thing. I'm not good enough to take the thing apart.

Welp, I shot some canned air into the vents and opened up parts on the back where I could and sprayed in there... and I currently have the laptop sitting on one of those laptop pads (for when you actually have it on your lap), and it seems to be running cooler (130 is max so far), BUT it still feels hot where I place my palms. And I haven't heard the fan. :wacko:

I think it's time to take it to the dude who fixes laptop problems for a $39 flat fee. :tup: