[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

House Maintenance Question

Jo

OK, I'm new to this home owner thing.

I recently bought an older home. The exterior of the house is aluminum siding and brick. On 2 sides of the house, the siding is touching the dirt, which I know is a no-no. I've already removed all plants touching the siding. The siding itself is in decent shape - no visible signs of water damage or termites.

I read you want at least 6 inches of the concrete foundation showing, but that's not going to happen. To do that I'd have to dig a trench, and that's no good. Even if I dig a 2 inch trench (so that the lowest siding is 2 inches above the dirt), I'll screw up the drainage slope and water will just pool there.

So basically, I have NO CLUE where to even get started on ideas of how to fix this. I don't even know what kind of professional I'd call to address this issue (though I'd obviously prefer a do-it-yourself remedy). Any suggestions on at all on where to get started or what I should look for would be really appreciated. Thanks.

OK, I'm new to this home owner thing.

I recently bought an older home. The exterior of the house is aluminum siding and brick. On 2 sides of the house, the siding is touching the dirt, which I know is a no-no. I've already removed all plants touching the siding. The siding itself is in decent shape - no visible signs of water damage or termites.

I read you want at least 6 inches of the concrete foundation showing, but that's not going to happen. To do that I'd have to dig a trench, and that's no good. Even if I dig a 2 inch trench (so that the lowest siding is 2 inches above the dirt), I'll screw up the drainage slope and water will just pool there.

So basically, I have NO CLUE where to even get started on ideas of how to fix this. I don't even know what kind of professional I'd call to address this issue (though I'd obviously prefer a do-it-yourself remedy). Any suggestions on at all on where to get started or what I should look for would be really appreciated. Thanks.

If you don't want to do it yourself and have the funds available, have a landscaper come in and take a look. They'll know what you can and can't put near the house etc. Maybe some type of pond stone boarder or something along those lines?

I really wouldn't think that aluminum siding stretching to the ground would be that big of a deal depending on what type of backer is behind the aluminum siding. Some Aluminum siding application have a foam insulation, which will wick water, or a fiberboard backer, which will also wick water. If either of those backers or the plyboard sheeting behind the aluminum siding stretches to the ground, yes there could be issues. If there is concrete or brick behind the siding, I wouldn't worry too much about doing anything else, so long as the concrete or brick is above grade by a few inches.

The sidings you don't want approaching the ground are wood or masonite, I'm not sure what composite masonry siding calls for, but I would assume that it wouldn't be a great idea as it will also absorb water, to an extent.

If the grade of the slope is toward the foundation of the house you have a completely different set of issues, the grade shouldn't have sloped toward the foundation, ever. If this is the case you may need to regrade the area to slope it away from the house or install a french drain along the length of the side of the house.

In other words, don't screw with it so long as the grade doesn't slope to the house and so long as no "permeable" material is within a few inches of the ground.