[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Replacing a computer...what to do when

MojoMan

I'm replacing my MacBookPro with a new MBP.

I haven't been surfing too many questionable sites but I have not been using any anti-virus software either. I don't have any symptoms of viruses or malware but you never know.

I have read about more malware being designed for the Mac OS so, with my new computer, I'm going to be careful.

Compared to most people, I don't have a lot of pictures, music, documents, etc to transfer from the old to the new.

Does this seems like the correct and logical order to do things?

1. Install anti-virus software on the old computer and run a full scan. The package (Intego Virus Barrier) lets me install on two computers.

2. After the scan, copy the files I want to keep to a brand new external hard drive. I know that Apple gives you a cable to go Mac to Mac...any advantages or disadvantages to using an external HD?

3. Install anti-virus software on the new computer and run a scan.

4. Copy the files from the hard drive to the new computer.

5. Rewrite old hard drive using Wipe Drive.

6. Give away old Mac (wife may want it or I could give to a school or something).

Thanks computer mavens of the Huddle.

That is a reasonable course of action. I like the idea of an external hard drive if only because you know nothing about this new computer and there is a chance that the new HD could fail. With the external HD you will have a backup of the data in the event of something catastrophic happening to the new computer, something that should never be entirely ruled out. You are then also in a position to make regular backups of your data going forward.

Having done this hundreds of times...

If you feel the need to run the virus scan on the old machine, go for it.

Otherwise, just use Apple's migration tools to get all of your information and programs to the new machine. It is very smooth. Youbare making too many hoops to jump through. No need for an external hd or anything like that. More copies = more room for error.