[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

return yards for pp

Jackass

stephens howling from ARI is a good one to have

download either rotolab's draft tool or draft cruncher. both let you put in your scoring and it spits out a custom cheat sheet for you.

Amendola and Percy Harvin are the 2 main beneficiaries on return yardage leagues. Probably not as big a boost this year due to the new kickoff return rules. Cribbs has potential, but never developed as receiver.

good point on the new return rules. wasn't thinking of that.

so as an example, amendola had 1500 return yards last year and Harvin had 1000. anyone care to venture a guess as to how much that would decline. maybe by about 1/3?

My thoughts on the subject are pretty well summarized in this thread.

It depends a lot on how much return yards are worth, because in a league where they're overvalued at 15 yards a point, the advantage for kick returners is ridiclous. Precy Harvin should have been a 1st round pick his rookie year with how much he thrived in that setup (which was the end of overvaluing returns in my return league)...

But when you get to 25 and more where they have to put up 100 return yards just to get 4 points, then due to the bomm or bust nature of the position, you are absolutely going to want guys who command touches regardless of whether they're returns or on offense; and again, the bump is going to be very negligible, aside from TDs, unless it's at the extreme of 15/point.

Sorry I don't have any names to drop, but all-purpose yards lists are a good place to get a heads up.

DJax doesn't return KO's (only punts), which is why return yardage has a minimal impact on him. That's what makes guys like Amendola so valuable in those types of leagues... He returned nearly all punts and KO's last year. Finding guys who do that is pretty difficult. Finding guys who do that AND make an impact on offense is almost unheard of. On average, there are only a couple of those kind of players each season.

Like others mentioned, the kickoff rule changes will likely decrease the value of said players... Since a large portion of return yards come from kickoffs, and kickoff yardage is now going to be somewhat limited by the rule changes, the impact of those players is going to be less. That actually makes somebody like DJax more valuable, in my opinion, because return guys are going to have to make more of an impact by scoring TD's, than just by gaining return yards.

Either way, look for guys who do both KO's and punts, if possible. Finding a list of those players is not the easiest thing to do, but I've had some success, over the last half-dozen years or so. PM me if you need some pointers. :wacko:

good point on the new return rules. wasn't thinking of that.

so as an example, amendola had 1500 return yards last year and Harvin had 1000. anyone care to venture a guess as to how much that would decline. maybe by about 1/3?

I would estimate about 20% less kickoff return yards than last year based on touchbacks on 16% kickoffs in 2010 and 33% of kickoffs so far in 2011 preseason

I would estimate about 20% less kickoff return yards than last year based on touchbacks on 16% kickoffs in 2010 and 33% of kickoffs so far in 2011 preseason

Keep in mind that teams are running it out of the endzone in the pre-season far more than they will in the regular season so they can get their return team some reps. My guess is that we'll be looking at a number over 50% rather than the 33% we've been seeing in the pre-season. That is, unless teams figure out a way to pooch it and pin the team inside the 20, which, in terms of this discussion, may as well be a touchback.

Marc Mariani scored 239 points in 2010 never catching a pass, and Stefon Logan with 232 points last season

:wacko:

Under what scoring system? Let's say that we're going to what I feel is too extreme with 15 yards a point for Mariani, and also decimal scoring, which is important because the total is probably at least several points lower without it. That would be:

1859 yards/15 = 123.9

2 TDs = 12

Total = 135.9

Now let's see even with 10 a point, which would just be insane:

1859/10 = 185.9

2 TDs = 12 points

Total = 197.9

Both very impressive totals considering not playing an offensive play, but I already feel those setups reward return yards WAY too much, and what you're talking about doesn't even sound like a fantasy league that rewards returns. It sounds like a pure return league if guys are getting over a point per 10 yards.

Edited by delusions of granduer

:wacko:

Under what scoring system? Let's say that we're going to what I feel is too extreme with 15 yards a point for Mariani, and also decimal scoring, which is important because the total is probably at least several points lower without it. That would be:

1859 yards/15 = 123.9

2 TDs = 12

Total = 135.9

Now let's see even with 10 a point, which would just be insane:

1859/10 = 185.9

2 TDs = 12 points

Total = 197.9

Both very impressive totals considering not playing an offensive play, but I already feel those setups reward return yards WAY too much, and what you're talking about doesn't even sound like a fantasy league that rewards returns. It sounds like a pure return league if guys are getting over a point per 10 yards.

Its a IDP contract dynasty league.

Maybe this is a poor example, if said returner gets over 150yds its 12.50pts and .05 for every yard there after.

In the same league Josh Cribbs had only 184pts including receptions.

In another dynasty league im with return yardage pts. i dont own Mariani in this one, his 2010 season total was 69pts, J.Cribbs had 88pts including receptions, This is a more realistic scoring to probably what the original poster scoring will be.

I stand corrected