[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Legit way to "Tivo" using my computer?

detlef

We don't have a DVR or Tivo and there have been a number of shows that we've wanted to watch lately that we had to miss and wish we could have recorded.

So, we're about to go out and get a Tivo but I want to check and make sure we actually need one. We have a Roku box and I have to think that there's a way I can avoid getting, yet another device. I'm not looking to avoid paying anything (though wouldn't mind finding a cheaper way to go).

All I've found, thus far, are ways to hack that admit that quality may suffer.

What I'm wondering is if there's some legit way to basically tap into my existing cable programming and use my computer as a Tivo.

Get a tuner card for your computer, most come with recording software

Buy something like this. This is what I have to get an over-the-air signal to my computer. If you're using a Windows 7 machine, the Media Center software is built in and works very, very well. It has a program guide built in and works just like a TiVo or a DVR.