[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home insurance question

Ramhock

This sucks, Homeowners policies don't cover flooding from outside water. I make sure my customers understand this. If they are worried about flooding, they need to obtain Flood Insurance. Unfortunately, no private company could profitably offer flood insurance. The government took over the program and now it is priced so high no one can afford it.

I wish I could offer you some solution, but this is one of those things that just plain suck about insurance.

This is a new thing during Hurricane Floyd my basement flooded and it was covered, 12 years later and a different company and now it's not covered. I don't live in a flood zone either.

I would ask for a check for $125K. Then I would build something that cost $125K to build. Seems pretty straightforward.

Underinsuring your house keeps an artificially low deductible and premium. That is why they insure to minimum value and there is a coinsurance penalty. Its really hard to underwrite if you dont make people insure to a certain level of their value (usually 80%).

This is a new thing during Hurricane Floyd my basement flooded and it was covered, 12 years later and a different company and now it's not covered. I don't live in a flood zone either.

Some adjusters cover flooding under the guise of water entering through broken windows but I am pretty sure you had a flood and surface water exclusion even back then.

I would ask for a check for $125K. Then I would build something that cost $125K to build. Seems pretty straightforward.

Is your mortgage company going to be OK with that? They may end up with a $250,000 loan on a house that has been rebuilt for $125,000 beacuase the property burned down. I am thinking this isn't straight forward at all. Homeowners insurance is there to protect them as well. Most require 100% replacement value.

Some adjusters cover flooding under the guise of water entering through broken windows but I am pretty sure you had a flood and surface water exclusion even back then.

all i know same exact thing 12 years later and no coverage, 12 years ago different company covered.