[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

amusing high school football story

polksalet

As I've stated on here previously my hometown of Nashville, Arkie is an absolute power in high school sports. I saw a list a few years ago that said were were the 3rd winningest team in Arkie and like the 28th in US history. When you are that good you don't have rivals, instead you have whipping boys. You can imagine how much hatred the neighboring towns have for us as most of their high school team can't remember beating us.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. We had begun the year 2nd in the state behind private school power house Pulaski Academy. Unlike most states Arkie allows private schools to compete with public schools. I think that is a terrible idea but I'll address that another time.

So were roll into the game on our field with our worst start since 1964 at 1-4. No one can explain what the failure is caused by though I have an idea. Our qb is like Mike Vick and they are making him run a Tom Brady offense. It is too complicated and requires too much accuracy. He is a runner with a huge arm. So Ashdown (trashdown) is #5 in the state with their only loss coming to the #3 school in the state by one point. They have the greatest pass rusher I've ever seen at DE. I think he had over 30 sacks last year.

Before kickoff their coach marches the team down our sidelines waving signs that say http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/pol...t/trashdown.png

During warmups their dbs would jog alongside our wr's. Their fans were chanting idiocy across the field at our fans. It was a really ugly pregame. I've never seen anything quite like it.

In the first half we had over 300 yards of offense and 3 int's. The last of which was on our 2 yard line as time was running out in the first half. Their cb walked in and they were up 14-7.

Early in the 2nd half their all state safety hit our all state wr on a crossing route. He lead with his head and flags were everywhere. He then stood over him and said "I hope I broke your neck!!". That was two 15 yarders for 30 yards of penalties. then we were down 21-7 and scored in two more plays. Fast forward to mid fourth quarter and they kicked a fg go to go up 24-14. We ran the kick back to bring it to 24-21. They run a prehistoric variant of the double wing. As they were lining up with a full house backfield on our 4 yard line as about 50 of their kids ran onto the sideline and jerked their shirts off to line up and spell "We are Ashdown" and they began shouting "We are Ashdown, we beat Nashville". On the following play their HUGH qb faked a handoff to the three rbs going left and took a keeper around the right side. Our freshman cb came up and put his helmet on the ball and knocked it loose. We recovred at the 4 with about 4 minutes left. This is when the Ashdown kids with bodypaint left the field.

The coach let the qb wing it and run around. The afore mentioned #8 got a pi on a play and then screamed at the ref afterward for another 30 yard penalty. We ran a couple hb dives and wound up with about a minute and a half on the clock. We are in orange and black. Note the players involved in the final play for us.

As they came down the field they threw it around a couple times and time expired with us winning 28-24. Now all we have to do is beat the worst team in the state ans assume they lose to the best team in the state and we get to go and they stay home. That hilarious if you ask me. IMO they brought it all on themselves by taunting us.