[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wisconsin

Scooby's Hubby

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Pensions and benefits are largely the result of taxpayers and their representatives kicking the can down the road because they didn't want to pay full price for what they were receiving, so it was easier to promise more later (when somebody else will likely be paying). Now the bills are coming due, the taxpayers are squealing. Sadly, it's not the same set of taxpayers - many of the ones caught in this trap weren't even out of grade school when the deals were done.

accurate except for the bold part, which is very disputable. teacher compensation has risen faster than inflation, and results have not. the real phenomenon is that unions have done what unions will do, that is consistently advocate and agitate toward higher wages, better benefits, easier working conditions. that part is fine. the problem is that they are "negotiating" with "bosses" they themselves helped elect, who have no incentive whatsoever to push back on union demands. the voters might not like it if they just kept giving them 10% raises every year, so instead they grant other, less obvious "concessions".

spelled out at length here

accurate except for the bold part, which is very disputable. teacher compensation has risen faster than inflation, and results have not. the real phenomenon is that unions have done what unions will do, that is consistently advocate and agitate toward higher wages, better benefits, easier working conditions. that part is fine. the problem is that they are "negotiating" with "bosses" they themselves helped elect, who have no incentive whatsoever to push back on union demands. the voters might not like it if they just kept giving them 10% raises every year, so instead they grant other, less obvious "concessions".

spelled out at length here

not in Wisconsin . i have not had a raise in 10 years let alone a 10%.

not in Wisconsin . i have not had a raise in 10 years let alone a 10%.

well, according to this site, here is the average teacher compensation in your district:

2000: $39146 salary, $13263 fringe benes -- $52409 total compensation

2010: $47285 salary, $26305 fringe benes -- $73590 total compensation

that appears to be roughly a 40% increase in total compensation over the last 10 years. compensation in fringe benefits has doubled.

well, according to this site, here is the average teacher compensation in your district:

that appears to be roughly a 40% increase in total compensation over the last 10 years. compensation in fringe benefits has doubled.

So even if i cant spend the money it is a raise? what exactly is a raise? you are semantics boy you tell me! :wacko:

So they have had a 40.41% increase in total compensation (but only a 20.79% increase in salary). According to this site, the inflation from 2000 to 2010 is 31.4%. So the teachers have averaged less than 1% over inflation for the last decade? We should hang those f-ing crooks in the public square. :wacko:

So they have had a 40.41% increase in total compensation (but only a 20.79% increase in salary). According to this site, the inflation from 2000 to 2010 is 31.4%. So the teachers have averaged less than 1% over inflation for the last decade? We should hang those f-ing crooks in the public square. :wacko:

salary may have increased but take home pay has not. thank you tommy thompson

26.6% actually. so their total compensation increased faster than inflation, and it mostly took the form of increased fringe benes. gee, that is exactly what I said.

teacher compensation has risen faster than inflation, and results have not. the real phenomenon is that unions have done what unions will do, that is consistently advocate and agitate toward higher wages, better benefits, easier working conditions. that part is fine. the problem is that they are "negotiating" with "bosses" they themselves helped elect, who have no incentive whatsoever to push back on union demands. the voters might not like it if they just kept giving them 10% raises every year, so instead they grant other, less obvious "concessions".

26.6% actually. so their total compensation increased faster than inflation, and it mostly took the form of increased fringe benes. gee, that is exactly what I said.

Well, according to this website the percentage difference between $39146 and $47285 equals 20.79% so I don't know where you get 26.6. And my post didn't disagree that it was technically "more" than inflation but it looks to be something like .9% per year so I guess I don't find it to be some hugh deal. On the whole I think the current system is fooked for a number of reasons, and I would probably have a different system if I ran the world. I'd still pay teachers a better salary than what most of them make currently though (although they could be fired easier as well).