[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Conflict in the EU

Savage Beatings

This article about using Debt in terms of warfare got me thinking... do you think that conventional war is still possible amongst the nations that make up the EU? I mean, for the most part, even though it seems to be a political disaster, the idea of making all of these nations so dependent upon each other that they would no longer go to war might be working. Can it last?

This article about using Debt in terms of warfare got me thinking... do you think that conventional war is still possible amongst the nations that make up the EU? I mean, for the most part, even though it seems to be a political disaster, the idea of making all of these nations so dependent upon each other that they would no longer go to war might be working. Can it last?

I'm not a student of economics but it's still the same stand off that was leading into WW1: Germany and France eyeing each other, keeping tabs on the Brits who will patiently stand by and react to what happens on the mainland. They're still only involved because of geography yet still detached for the same reason.

And Austria Hungary is now 4 thousand countries.

do you think that conventional war is still possible amongst the nations that make up the EU?

The whole situation there has made fascinating (and potentially historic) reading over the past week. The linked publication is the one I read most and certainly the most anti-EU of the British papers.

To answer the one question about war, no, absolutely not. Why not, you say?

Because the populations are generally pacific due to there being in living memory the greatest of all wars, preceded by a slaughterhouse war, the last survivors of which have only just left us this year. They just don't want to do war any more.

Because they virtually all belong to NATO.

Because none of them have remotely close to big enough forces to be able to attack one of the others.

Because their own forces won't do it.

There are a ton of interesting observations and questions about the EU in general and what might happen but IMO war is not on the horizon, nor is it in anyone's dreams.