[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone know how to recover a LAN password?

DMD

My Brother-In-Law had his wireless password written down and as always it has gone missing. Is there anyway to check his hard-wired PC to see if the password is there? His other wireless machines still work. He uses XP on his PC.

I'm probably too late, buttttttt......

Start>Control Panel>Network & Sharing Center

Link in top left corner of window reads Manage Wireless Networks

Right click on the wireless network to which you need the password, select Properties

The window which opens is call (network name) Wireless Network Properties. Click the Security tab at the top

On the Security tab, check the box for Show Characters.

Your wireless network password should now be available to view.

BTW, this is Win 7, but XP should work the same, or pretty close to it.

I'm probably too late, buttttttt......

Start>Control Panel>Network & Sharing Center

Link in top left corner of window reads Manage Wireless Networks

Right click on the wireless network to which you need the password, select Properties

The window which opens is call (network name) Wireless Network Properties. Click the Security tab at the top

On the Security tab, check the box for Show Characters.

Your wireless network password should now be available to view.

BTW, this is Win 7, but XP should work the same, or pretty close to it.

This is the way I did it to set up MrBunz's Kindle the other day. Clicked on my connection on the laptop (win7), clicked properties and show characters. No resetting necessary! :wacko:

Edited by SteelBunz

This is the way I did it to set up MrBunz's Kindle the other day. Clicked on my connection on the laptop (win7), clicked properties and show characters. No resetting necessary! :tup:

:wacko:

He said: "Is there anyway to check his hard-wired PC to see if the password is there?"

His hard wired PC is not using wifi, so he would have no wireless connections to check.

Also, I am not aware of a way to view the characters on a WinXP machines wireless connection using the Windows interface. A 3rd party wifi mgr may.

On some routers, none that I am aware of, you may be able to enter the router config and see the characters for the password, but the reasons they are not supposed to be visible is so the network is secure.

He said: "Is there anyway to check his hard-wired PC to see if the password is there?"

His hard wired PC is not using wifi, so he would have no wireless connections to check.

Also, I am not aware of a way to view the characters on a WinXP machines wireless connection using the Windows interface. A 3rd party wifi mgr may.

On some routers, none that I am aware of, you may be able to enter the router config and see the characters for the password, but the reasons they are not supposed to be visible is so the network is secure.

Oops..sorry. Didn't read the question correctly. I was reading the settings on my laptop which is running wireless. My desktop is hard-wired.

I imagine I'm only allowed to 'view characters' because I'm already connected. Outside parties don't have that option.

:lol:

My point being: if he has the wireless, as indicated, then he doesn't need the hard-wired PC to find out the password. OP indicates "wireless password written down", with my assumption being he needs his wireless password. :wacko: Which makes checking via the cabled PC a moot point.

:tup:

was curious so tried on my XP laptop and couldn't see anything