[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

smartphone questions

detlef

OK, so in August, we switched from iphones to Androids and went with a month to month carrier, Boost. The Sprint based service seems fine enough but the phones are absolute crap. Initially, the biggest problem was battery life but, thanks to my huddle brethren, that is solved. Now, however, my phone has stopped doing anything but take calls and texts (nothing web-based at all). I even tried to disable the juice defender, but it doesn't matter. I should mention that this inability to go on-line did not coincide with the addition of juice defender. Initially, I was able to go on-line just fine with it enabled.

Also, I'm constantly up against storage limits and have very few optional apps downloaded (nothing like what I had on my iphone). I'm still getting space limit reminders even now despite the fact that my phone won't download anything. My SDI card is empty and I've tried to move some apps to that but none of the apps I have are apparently allowed to be stored there.

Lastly, the touch screen just stops working from time to time.

1) If anyone has any experience with this particular phone and how I can make it less lame, that would be cool.

2) Boost is on the Sprint network. Can I just buy any Sprint-enabled phone, slide my card in, and use that on my current network? The good news is, we've already saved enough money by being with Boost that our phones are paid for. So, even if I get nothing for them and start over, I won't be that pissed. Annoyed, yes. But right now I'm annoyed daily by a useless phone.

TIA

Why did you get away from your iPhone? Were you not happy with the equipment? The Carrier?

AT&T was no picnic but mostly we were sick of paying as much as we were. $180 between the two of us and that didn't include unlimited text or minutes.

Right now, we're paying $100 between the two of us for all you can eat and, every 6 mos for the next 18 mos, that goes down $10 a month until we're down to a total of $70 for the both of us.

And I'm not certain that this is a "you get what you pay for" because I'm not having any more issues than I used to have with dropped calls and such. It just seems like the phone itself is a POS. My wife, for instance, is not having the on-line issues nor the storage space ones (but she is having the touch screen freeze ones) .That's why I'm hoping I can get a better phone (perhaps an iphone, in fact) and just run it on this network.

I actually dug my iphone.

You get what you pay for. :wacko:

I understand that and am prepared to either suck it up with a crappy phone or suck it up and pay the extra jack if I truly have to. That's sort of the point of the thread. Given how awful my phone is, I would guess that nobody would be satisfied with it regardless of how cheap it is. So maybe there's some tricks to getting it to simply be OK, even if not wonderful.

Or, is there some way to go out and buy a better phone and get it to play nice with Boost? Is it worth it or is Boost just flat-out bootleg and a better phone would still suck balls.

I would like to exhaust these options before I just go back to an iphone and sign up for a higher-priced phone plan.

Edited by detlef

I'm not familiar with Boost phones to know about how you go about getting new phone, but those sound like some pretty uncommon hardware and/or settings issues... Is the phone under warranty? Because it sounds like it's defective...

As for the internet issue, that's especially strange... Have you tried running it off of wifi?

As for the storage issue, do have a lot of pictures or music or other data on there? Otherwise, I have no clue why it's hitting the limit...

I've had some email sync issues in the past, but onthing like what all you got going on... I'd replace it either as defective, or with an upgrade to a better rated phone. You shouldn't be having all those problems, and it definitely sounds like a phone specific issue. The carrier should have little to do with the issues you're having...

I'm not familiar with Boost phones to know about how you go about getting new phone, but those sound like some pretty uncommon hardware and/or settings issues... Is the phone under warranty? Because it sounds like it's defective...

As for the internet issue, that's especially strange... Have you tried running it off of wifi?

As for the storage issue, do have a lot of pictures or music or other data on there? Otherwise, I have no clue why it's hitting the limit...

I've had some email sync issues in the past, but onthing like what all you got going on... I'd replace it either as defective, or with an upgrade to a better rated phone. You shouldn't be having all those problems, and it definitely sounds like a phone specific issue. The carrier should have little to do with the issues you're having...

I have maybe 20 pictures and almost no music. that's the crazy part.

I don't think it's under warranty. I didn't pay for anything special and have had the phone for 4 month. I would guess that I've gone past anything it had for free.

That is the inverse of the issues with my iphone. Everything is great but I can't talk on it.

Since the iphone is free I bought a Nokia E71 from Straight Talk and I love the thing. It works everywhere ATT has a tower and is bulletproof, literally. It is made of stainless steel I am 100% confident it would stop a 22 long rifle. 45 a month for perfection is hard to beat.

I would have to assume your phone has low built in memory, like 15-20mb, and a mSD slot to add an 8GB card or similar. Those are much more handy, and are dirt cheap.

Right, but it doesn't seem like anything I have on the phone can be moved to the SDI card, so that makes it sort of pointless. It came with a 2GB card that is virtually empty because no apps or data can be moved to it. Nor do I want to continually have to deal with that.

Update:

I got the internet thing fixed, so there's that. Ultimately I think it comes down to the reality that I don't like having to deal with all the little issues the droid presents. I'm sure, $ for $, it's faster and more rad than an iphone. But all the ways that truly matters in, don't matter to me.

When we decided to switch, we were both on really old iphones. Both of us had our original phones either lost or stolen and were using hand-me-downs from friends who'd upgraded. So, we were working with very old 3G phones. Even still, it was easier than this. The 4 is now $99 with contract and we're thinking of just going that way. We can also then use verizon which is much better around here.

We lose the unlimited deal but I checked our old statements and we never sniffed the 1400 minutes, 1000 texts (each) or data levels for a reasonably priced package.

Also, my wife gets a nice phone allowance from her company and feels somewhat obliged to get a phone that doesn't drop so many calls considering her company is paying for it.