[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ahmad Bradshaw... feeling the heat?

DMD

NY Giants running back Ahmad Bradshaw tells rookie David Wilson to slow down in camp

ALBANY — Giants rookie tailback David Wilson runs low to the ground, he can cut on a dime and he has breakaway speed that almost makes coach Tom Coughlin giddy.

But the Giants know that already. And to veteran tailback Ahmad Bradshaw, it’s time for Wilson to stop working so hard to showcase those one-on-one running talents. To the veteran, it’s time for the understudy to adopt a simpler approach.

“Just with the fresh legs, you feel good and you want to show your talents out there. But everybody knows he’s fast and he can make moves,” Bradshaw said Friday. “It’s just the way he does it. At times, it’s not even needed.”

It’s been impossible not to notice Wilson’s flash throughout camp, and Coughlin has raved about the first-round pick, saying he “looks very fast, looks very quick.” Yet Wilson still seems languishing on the depth chart, with Bradshaw and veteran D.J. Ware taking most of the first-team carries.

Wilson has electrifying talent, Bradshaw said, but he’s also wearing out his body.

“He’s great. He’s still young,” Bradshaw said. “He kind of does his own thing, juking and doing a lot of things, putting a lot of torque on his ankles and knees and different things. We’re trying to teach him how to be a professional and just hold back on some of those things.”

It’s something Bradshaw remembers learning when he broke into the NFL six years ago. Bradshaw, now 26, remembers “spinning and doing a lot of different things like he (Wilson) was.” But a pair of veterans — Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward —helped him curb those tendencies.

Bradshaw is spending this training camp trying to mentor Wilson in the same way, while also proving to the Giants that he’s fully recovered from the foot issues that led him to miss four games last season.

Bradshaw said he’s focused on strengthening his ankles and feet, and the strategy has worked so far. One year after barely practicing, Bradshaw hasn’t missed a single training camp workout.

“I think the way I feel now, I can go all 16, hopefully 19, however it comes,” he said. “But right now, I feel great. I can’t explain how excited I am for this year.”

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...1#ixzz22bDMSQ44

First thing I thought when I saw that - Bradshaw sounds like a guy whistling through the graveyard. Knowing Coughlin, Bradshaw will get his this coming season, but this makes it sound like Wilson is going to get some significant work and may end up shortening Bradshaw's career as the Giants' primary ball carrier.

Just looked it up - In five years of playing, Bradshaw played all 16 games only once and never had more than 40% of the RB touches for the year other than 2010 when he had just 62%. Wilson looks like Bradshaw's younger but more talented brother...

I believe that Bradshaw is going to be put on a short leash.

I believe that Bradshaw is going to be put on a short leash.

I'd be very surprised if that happens. Rookie Rb's are always overhyped. Giants OL was terrible last year and Bradshaw still had a pretty good year. Now of course, if he gets injured - which is a concern - all bets are off.

I'd be very surprised if that happens. Rookie Rb's are always overhyped. Giants OL was terrible last year and Bradshaw still had a pretty good year. Now of course, if he gets injured - which is a concern - all bets are off.

This is where I was getting at. I am a Bradshaw owner so I hope he stays healthy. Wilson will be on my draft list earlier than later sad to say.