[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LIVE Auction Draft App Idea - Need As Much Feedback as Possible

OrangeWacko

Okay, we have had a 12 team live auction draft for Standard Fantasy auction league this year with $200 budget and it was SUPER fun!

Of course, getting everyone together was a pain, but it went fairly quick, started around 5 PM and ended the whole draft around 10 PM.

Few things that were not efficient nor effective: we kept track of the results Excel spreadsheet, which takes time - typing name, bid, team name etc.

This what leads me to my app idea - the Auction Draft Manager (for iPhone), free for everyone.

Could you please write down, if you ever participated in live auction draft, how you usually do it: how you decide order, how the bid is done, is there a timer, as much info as possible and what is the usual bid go like?

Also, what features you think might be useful?...

Thank you very much!

PS It's about 9 month project as I am learning iOS programming at the same time building this app. I am a designer, so it will look pretty sweet.

http://s3.postimg.org/p4tvqi6cj/Screen_Shot_2014_10_25_at_8_06_52_PM.png

Edited by OrangeWacko

What would be different about this than using a fantasy app like espn or yahoo and doing an auction draft on there? I'm sure you could maybe come up with something more user friendly for those looking to do it in person and on just one phone or tablet. But you probably are not going to have a whole league set up for the year with updates and the works. So you would have to take all the players from that draft and transfer them to an actual fantasy league

Thanks for a good question!

I will attempt to answer it, as it's the main purpose for it :)

The fun in the live draft for me personally, and also other teams was the fact it was done live, people were arguing, joking, making deals vocally and with each other, on the personal level.

The ESPN and yahoo apps do not have that "fun interactive" aspect, you have to type in the bid manually or add the bid by 1 dollar, which is not a fun way :). Making bid and vocally trying to overbid someone at the same time was a blast for us :)

And yes, at the end, the Manager will email the report to all teams to be put whatever Website they are using: ESPN, NFL etc.

Edited by OrangeWacko

No man :) Not at all...

First, the app does not exist yet, it's just in concept phase right now. I am trying to get as much feedback as possible from people who have done auction drafts, mostly to people who Managed the auction draft, specifically.

The app will be free for everyone to use on iPhone only, so not selling it to anybody, also it will not have any ads.

How much is free? It's free, just give me some advice.

Also, I will give early acess to test the app whoever gives me valuable advice.

The reason: I love Fantasy football and doing it for our draft mostly and also thought other auctiona managers might benefit, even if it's a really small group, who cares.

Do you own this app or making money from this app in any way? Sounds like your trying to sell it....just the way it is coming across to me.

Edited by OrangeWacko

I would almost prefer this app for an android. (Not being an ipad expert, maybe it doesn't matter) but I know on most android tablets their are mini hdmi outputs. It would be sweet to have a digitized draft board displayed either through a projector or lcd tv.

I've only done a couple auction drafts, but one of the more difficult things is not knowing exactly what other teams have left to spend, which would be useful as well.

• Like 1

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, as part of the project, I was thinking about a website where it will show the expanded view with all teams, all their drafted players, in live mode, current amount of $$ left, so we are both are on the same track here :)

As far as Android, I would not be able to do that any time soon just because it's a completely different platform to program in, and I am learning iOS for now :) Taking your point also, if you have iPhone, you can log in as one of the teams and see your own team details, of course, if you have iPhone and if you want to do that.

Do you feel like there is usually an Internet access?

I would almost prefer this app for an android. (Not being an ipad expert, maybe it doesn't matter) but I know on most android tablets their are mini hdmi outputs. It would be sweet to have a digitized draft board displayed either through a projector or lcd tv.

I've only done a couple auction drafts, but one of the more difficult things is not knowing exactly what other teams have left to spend, which would be useful as well.

If it makes the process easier and more efficient, why not get rid of the good ole paper and spend more time drinking beer than having one person to be everyone's note-taker ? :ball:

I've participated in live auction drafts for years. Only one or two owners even bring a computer. Never had the need nor the desire for an app to change the experience. It works very well without one.

Edited by OrangeWacko

I dont understand why you don't just have people bring laptops/smart phones and just meet up at someone's house. It seems much more efficient to use existing apps/websites like yahoo, espn, cbs etc... If everyone is present at the same house it won't be any different than the vibrant fun atmosphere you described. Plus you have the advantage of a more flexible schedule because someone can draft from home or else where if needed.

We had the majority of our 12 person draft at a friends house, the 2 or 3 that couldn't make it drafted from home. It certainly wasn't quiet as there was plenty of verbal bashing, joking, and talking all around. Just a lot more effective than using an excelsheet to replace an already existing app/website.

• Like 1

Very good point. I guess one of the advantages for my app idea is the fact it's mean to be used by just one person - the League Manager or whatever name you have, in offline mode, if you dont have Internet - no problem.

I do realize that it would be nice to have people draft if they can't make it... It is definitively adds to complexity.

I have few questions for you: did you guys have a timer ? So after someone bids, the timer starts and then it's final? Also, you said you used the app? Which one and did everyone had to type their bids on the phone/laptop? Or was it just one designated person who was doing the input?

Thanks!!!

A little of topic, but what about an auction draft where it's a blind bid on a per person basis? I have never heard of anyone trying this, however I am sure it exists. It might be kinda fun.

That would be the longest draft ever.

Very good point. I guess one of the advantages for my app idea is the fact it's mean to be used by just one person - the League Manager or whatever name you have, in offline mode, if you dont have Internet - no problem.

I do realize that it would be nice to have people draft if they can't make it... It is definitively adds to complexity.

I have few questions for you: did you guys have a timer ? So after someone bids, the timer starts and then it's final? Also, you said you used the app? Which one and did everyone had to type their bids on the phone/laptop? Or was it just one designated person who was doing the input?

Thanks!!!

We just went through yahoo's online draft I think only one person from our draft had to do it from his phone.Everyone typed the bid in our own latptop/phone. There was a 20 second timer and it reset up to 10 seconds anytime someone put in a bid that way it can't be sniped last second.

If it makes the process easier and more efficient, why not get rid of the good ole paper and spend more time drinking beer than having one person to be everyone's note-taker ? :ball:

We have a board that tracks the entire draft, which is updated by a "Board Babe" with every selection, I always know who has drafted what, what positional needs they have left, and how much $$$ they have left to spend. I don't see how an app is going to make it "easier and more efficient". It is already easy and efficient, and there has never been a lack of beer drinking time.

Sorry bud, I just don't see the need.