[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1st Time League Commissioner - Trade Veto

Mut134

IMO if the guy is in fact a newbie then I think you need to let him make mistakes so he can learn. But from what the OP is saying it does sound like there could be some collusion going on here.

My definition of collusion: 1) I trade you L. Bell for (pick a player) for this week to help you win your game. Next week, we swap back so that we have our original players again. Collusion! 2) husband and wife making trades (or any other persons living under one roof.) I do not include co-workers here. I am Manager of my work league (sole veto power), I just recently traded away Brady to get L. Bell with a guy in my department. Another guy in a different dept. made a comment about it, and my explanation was "I attempted a trade with someone else who wasn't in my dept first, but they declined. He was my next option."

Brady for Bell makes sense. But what if you traded Carr for Bell? To me that seems to be collusion in some way. I think it is fine if everyone wants to vote that they are cool with that type of trade, but I would much rather be in a league where one team can't intentionally make another team better out of spite or whatever.

There very well could be collusion in these trades, but unless there is definitive proof then you can't veto based on the reason.

In this specific case, I think the only reason you veto is because the rest of the league has voted against the trades; and that's how the league was set-up. So you let the teams know that they need to even the trades out in order to go through.

Or, you ok THIS one time. But let them know that any subsequent trades between them HAVE to be even. The problem there is that you have to honor the same for any other trades the rest of the year. Creates a bit of chaos IMO.

Why do people talk like there is a set of rules individual leagues have to follow? It's a private league, they can do whatever they want.

Personally, I wouldn't give to sh*ts if people thought I was being a dictator or whatever, if they chose me to be their commish. I wouldn't let a stupid trade like this ruin my whole league.

Why do people talk like there is a set of rules individual leagues have to follow? It's a private league, they can do whatever they want.

Personally, I wouldn't give to sh*ts if people thought I was being a dictator or whatever, if they chose me to be their commish. I wouldn't let a stupid trade like this ruin my whole league.

First off the trade mentioned by the OP wouldn't ruin the entire league. Secondly anybody who has played enough fantasy football knows that the team everybody thinks is the best usually doesn't win it all.

So this makes it ok to make BS lopsided trades?

Not if you know the teams making the trade are cheating. If not who the hell are you to decide what is best for another members team? If someone wants to make a trade that they think betters there team that is their choice, not yours

Edited by Finn5033

Cant speak for other leagues, but in any of mine its not the commissioners job to grade a trade-- just to ensure there is no collusion.

Obviously this is a pretty "lopsided" trade -- but isn't that the point of trading-- trying to get a lot for a little?

From the perspective of a newbie is it that far -fetched?

1. Im getting 3 players for 2

2. Stafford and Graham are big names I know

its not like hes trading a kicker and a DST for Charles.

Unless theres clear collusion then its not the Commish's right, or other players especially, to veto it.

If its not collusion give the guy credit for getting Charles and Hopkins and pulling off a sweet deal.

The newbie learns the hard way.

Sounds like everyone is just jealous that they couldn't get their hands in the cookie jar first.

Not if you know the teams making the trade are cheating. If not who the hell are you to decide what is best for another members team?

Well that's what I'm saying. If I'm the commish that's my job (if the players decide/agree that is indeed my job). I'm not just gonna go with my gut tho, but if the other players generally agree + I do research and it seems very lopsided, then I go ahead and veto it. Also I guess I'd ask the two parties in the trade to explain why they think it's fair.

But I wouldn't NOT veto it just cause I didn't have proof there's collution. This is a fantasy league, not a crime scene.

Unless theres clear collusion then its not the Commish's right, or other players especially, to veto it.

Who's to say? Why do people seem to think this is a rule set in stone?

Again, it's a private league, they can have whatever rules they want.

Well that's what I'm saying. If I'm the commish that's my job (if the players decide/agree that is indeed my job). I'm not just gonna go with my gut tho, but if the other players generally agree + I do research and it seems very lopsided, then I go ahead and veto it. Also I guess I'd ask the two parties in the trade to explain why they think it's fair.

But I wouldn't NOT veto it just cause I didn't have proof there's collution. This is a fantasy league, not a crime scene.

But that is the point as well. It's not a crime scene it's fantasy football, so let the guys manage their teams the way they want. Unless a guy is trying to trade L. Bell for a kicker, or you know 2 guys are colluding to make a super team just let them play

Nobody is saying that, the OP asked for opinions on whether it should be vetoed or not. The rules are what they are, but most people agree that unless it is obvious that there is cheating you should let your member run their team the way they want. That is why people play fantasy.

I have no clue what this leagues rules and bylaws are - the way I read it is the OP was asking advice on what he should do.

My advice is if its not collusion- which it doesn't appear to be-- then stay out of it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't call it collusion but it's definitely preying on the weak. It's a fine line, if it's a money league and this kind of stuff went on I'd be highly irritated and wouldn't be returning the following year. It's sways the competitve balance of the league to favor one team greatly.

Yes, everyone has the opportunity to swindle team 1 but there are some unwritten rules when it comes to proposing absolutely ridiculous trades. If you meet up with team 2 in the playoffs and lose because he landed a top 5 RB and Top 15 WR for players team 2 was using as bench filler, you'd be livid. You also run the risk of everyone else in your league saying screw it and leaving their teams unattended the rest of the year.

You set up the rules to allow a vote and then I surmise have the commissioner give the determining verdict. If you can say with a straight face that this trade is fair and balanced then let it go through.

Edited by RiseUp