[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Melvin Gordon's Usage

Swashbucklers

Melvin Gordon is on pace for around 350-400 touches for the season. How do you see his usage being monitored for the remainder of the season? I am riding him now but fear that he will wear down. Is Farrow the handcuff to own for Gordon? How has Farrow looked in a limited role?

He is the back to own but he hasn't been given the opportunity to do much. They are riding gordon heavy but it doesn't seem like he's slowing down at all. He'll ball out ROS and play into being a top 5 pick next year which is when all the touches he got this year will start to affect him causing mass regret from people who take him with their 1st pick lol

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of necro'ing this thread as a Chargers fan, but Ithought this was extremely interesting, and is really telling of how special of a season Gordon is having. San Diego ranks worst in offensive line rankings through 11 weeks, and Gordon is still the #3 rusher.

From Pro Football Focus:

32. San Diego Chargers (57.0)

It seems hard to believe there is a line worse than the Vikings or Seahawks this season, but at least in this metric, the San Diego Chargers take that award. The Chargers have allowed 147 total pressures over the season, worse than every team outside of Indianapolis, and with a QB getting rid of the ball significantly faster on average (2.45 seconds per attempt vs 2.75, the difference between 18th place in the league and 33rd). The run game may look better, but Melvin Gordon has gained 518 of his 838 rushing yards (61.2 percent) after contact, breaking 28 tackles to make it happen, so that flatters the blocking.

Jesus christ, this man can never take a handoff and make it past the line of scrimmage without some contact. It'd be amazing to see how well he'd be running this year behind a competent O-Line with as many touches as he's been having.

I'm really excited to have him in a keeper league as I can keep him for an 8th round pick, but yeah, the signs point to next season being not as good. The heavy workload, plus the fact that a lot of his fantasy points have come through the air, and Danny Woodhead will most likely be back as far as I know. I wish they started spelling him a month ago. Plus they should be trying to evaluate their backup RBs to see who they want to bring back next year.

One good sign though is that I'd bet the Chargers spend at least one high draft pick on the offensive line next year. As pointed out above, he's done this well without much help from the offensive line. Their only other big need is safety. I could definitely see them taking a tackle or a center in the 1st round.

Edited by pun

I'm really excited to have him in a keeper league as I can keep him for an 8th round pick, but yeah, the signs point to next season being not as good. The heavy workload, plus the fact that a lot of his fantasy points have come through the air, and Danny Woodhead will most likely be back as far as I know. I wish they started spelling him a month ago. Plus they should be trying to evaluate their backup RBs to see who they want to bring back next year.

One good sign though is that I'd bet the Chargers spend at least one high draft pick on the offensive line next year. As pointed out above, he's done this well without much help from the offensive line. Their only other big need is safety. I could definitely see them taking a tackle or a center in the 1st round.

After Woodhead they are all replaceable. Nothing to really evaluate. Oliver is JAG as far as I've seen. The rest are just roster fodder imo.