[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shawn Merriman--274 lb. 'tweener?

policyvote

I just don't get it. Every draft site/mock draft/draft guru is falling all over themselves calling Merriman a 'tweener, best suited to be a 3-4 OLB. WHY? The man weighs 274 pounds! How many 274-pound OLBs have you heard of? Yes, he has freakish speed and acceleration. Yes, his natural tools allow him to play in space--but that doesn't mean he *has* to. A 274-pounder with elite speed and pass-rush skills is pretty much the ideal 4-3 end, no? Maybe he doesn't have ideal strength for his size, and maybe his run support is iffy. But that doesn't make him any different from a hundred other speedy, pass-rushing DEs.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

I just don't get it.  Every draft site/mock draft/draft guru is falling all over themselves calling Merriman a 'tweener, best suited to be a 3-4 OLB.  WHY?  The man weighs 274 pounds!  How many 274-pound OLBs have you heard of?  Yes, he has freakish speed and acceleration.  Yes, his natural tools allow him to play in space--but that doesn't mean he *has* to.  A 274-pounder with elite speed and pass-rush skills is pretty much the ideal 4-3 end, no?  Maybe he doesn't have ideal strength for his size, and maybe his run support is iffy.  But that doesn't make him any different from a hundred other speedy, pass-rushing DEs.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Peace

policy

766193[/snapback]

Why is everyone falling all over him or why is he best suited for a 3-4 OLB? I don't really think it matters all that much, he can play LB in a 4-3 too, IMHO. He's going # 11 overall.

No, I understand why people like him. What I don't understand is why no draft site in the world can mention his name without following it with "best suited to play OLB in a 3-4". Some even call him undersized! Yes, Merriman *could* play OLB just fine. I'm also sure Mike Vick could play any non-line position on the field. That doesn't mean that he's "best suited" for it, or that he can't hack it at QB.

With the success of Dwight Freeney, I just don't understand why people think a 4-3 end *has* to weigh 280 or more . . .

Peace

policy

No, I understand why people like him.  What I don't understand is why no draft site in the world can mention his name without following it with "best suited to play OLB in a 3-4".  Some even call him undersized!  Yes, Merriman *could* play OLB just fine.  I'm also sure Mike Vick could play any non-line position on the field.  That doesn't mean that he's "best suited" for it, or that he can't hack it at QB.

With the success of Dwight Freeney, I just don't understand why people think a 4-3 end *has* to weigh 280 or more . . .

Peace

policy

766219[/snapback]

OK, I get you now. Mostly, I think, since he can play both positions is that when making a mock you look at team needs and so if team A needs a DE and team B needs a LB both would consider him since, he can play both. Why anyone would say he's best suited to play OLB is beyond me, only thing I can think of is the writers think it makes them sound smart. :D You guys not thinking of passing on DJ now are you?

I've said it before, I'll say it again. if DJ falls to the Lions the will do what they did last year: trade down one spot with the 'Boys and pick up a first-day pick in return. That said, I really don't anticipate DJ falling that far. He'll be gone to the Vikes or Cards, IMO.

The Lions will take either Barron or Rolle, whichever of the two is left.

Peace

policy