[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How Dumb Am I?

Balzac

I just made the following trade in a 10 team, 5x5 league:

I gave - KRod & Beltran

I got - Ortiz & Ramon Hernandez

Here's my rationale, but let me know what you think:

1. Beltran sucks (relatively, of course) w/o his SBs - he's not hitting enough HR to carry him now that he's out of Minute Maid. If the Mets don't rest him, his leg won't get better anytime soon - until that happens, I'm better off playing someone like Aaron Rowand in his slot. In short, I'm very worried about him producing anytime soon.

2. I had 2 closers prior to making this trade - KRod and Street. I'm 5th in saves, so I only stand to lose 4 points by moving KRod. On the other hand, I have 1s in both HR an RBI - I stand to gain a lot more in those cats by adding Papi. With only 2 closers, it's not like I'm going to be climbing the standings in saves anyway. KRod has great stats across the board, but I picked up Farnsworth to replace him - his stats are pretty comparable w/o the saves, so all I'm really taking a big hit in is the saves. And who knows - Percival isn't exactly durable at this point in his career.

3. Ramon Hernandez may not seem like much, but I'll use him to sub in for VMart until that fool wakes up. Ramon is the #3 C in roto, so that's a pretty big step up from a C that currently ranks on the wrong side of the top 500 players in roto.

4. Ortiz is an absolute beast.

I think the trade helps my team - am I crazy?

I just made the following trade in a 10 team, 5x5 league:

I gave - KRod & Beltran

I got - Ortiz & Ramon Hernandez

Here's my rationale, but let me know what you think:

1.    Beltran sucks (relatively, of course) w/o his SBs - he's not hitting enough HR to carry him now that he's out of Minute Maid.  If the Mets don't rest him, his leg won't get better anytime soon - until that happens, I'm better off playing someone like Aaron Rowand in his slot.  In short, I'm very worried about him producing anytime soon.

2.    I had 2 closers prior to making this trade - KRod and Street.  I'm 5th in saves, so I only stand to lose 4 points by moving KRod.  On the other hand, I have 1s in both HR an RBI - I stand to gain a lot more in those cats by adding Papi.  With only 2 closers, it's not like I'm going to be climbing the standings in saves anyway.  KRod has great stats across the board, but I picked up Farnsworth to replace him - his stats are pretty comparable w/o the saves, so all I'm really taking a big hit in is the saves.  And who knows - Percival isn't exactly durable at this point in his career. 

3.    Ramon Hernandez may not seem like much, but I'll use him to sub in for VMart until that fool wakes up.  Ramon is the #3 C in roto, so that's a pretty big step up from a C that currently ranks on the wrong side of the top 500 players in roto. 

4.    Ortiz is an absolute beast.

I think the trade helps my team - am I crazy?

840036[/snapback]

Well I don't think you did too terribly. Put it this way, you got the best player in the deal. While Beltran has the potential to be THE best fantasy baseball player (speed, power), he just hasn't done it this season. The Mets are getting by without "Beltran being Beltran". His injury also has to be of concern.

So you dumped Beltran... an OF... the most talent-rich position. If Rowand or any of your other "backup" OFs don't produce, you can ALWAYS find a gem on the waiver wire or through follow-up trades. You GAINED a "beast" in Ortiz. He should put you right in the mix for HRs and RBI. By himself.

As far as your closer situation goes, I understand your logic. So you lose 4 roto points... big deal. Now, with the trade deadline approaching and SEVERAL current closers being discussed in potential deals, you need to make darn sure you pay close attention. Look at the Tampa Bay situation, the Cleveland situation... to name 2. Go get Betancourt if he's available. Or stick with Farnsworth and hope he vultures some wins and continues to post solid ERA/WHIP numbers. K-Rod isn't that durable - and Shields proved to be a capable closer. Heck, Scioscia said K-Rod wouldn't necessarily close out games on consectutive nights. This was early in the season, too... before K-Rod went down w/ injury.

As far as your catcher situation goes, I wouldn't discount Martinez just yet. I nabbed him in 2 leagues, and heck, I'm letting the guy play. He went on a stretch of a few games with a HR... he can hit. And he WILL hit. If your team's AVG stinks, perhaps you throw Hernandez out there and hope Martinez comes around in all aspects of the game.

You certainly didn't make a dumb trade, IMO.

Well I don't think you did too terribly.  Put it this way, you got the best player in the deal.  While Beltran has the potential to be THE best fantasy baseball player (speed, power), he just hasn't done it this season.  The Mets are getting by without "Beltran being Beltran".  His injury also has to be of concern. 

So you dumped Beltran... an OF... the most talent-rich position.  If Rowand or any of your other "backup" OFs don't produce, you can ALWAYS find a gem on the waiver wire or through follow-up trades.  You GAINED a "beast" in Ortiz.  He should put you right in the mix for HRs and RBI.  By himself.

As far as your closer situation goes, I understand your logic.  So you lose 4 roto points... big deal.  Now, with the trade deadline approaching and SEVERAL current closers being discussed in potential deals, you need to make darn sure you pay close attention.  Look at the Tampa Bay situation, the Cleveland situation... to name 2.  Go get Betancourt if he's available.  Or stick with Farnsworth and hope he vultures some wins and continues to post solid ERA/WHIP numbers.  K-Rod isn't that durable - and Shields proved to be a capable closer.  Heck, Scioscia said K-Rod wouldn't necessarily close out games on consectutive nights.  This was early in the season, too... before K-Rod went down w/ injury. 

As far as your catcher situation goes, I wouldn't discount Martinez just yet.  I nabbed him in 2 leagues, and heck, I'm letting the guy play.  He went on a stretch of a few games with a HR... he can hit.  And he WILL hit.  If your team's AVG stinks, perhaps you throw Hernandez out there and hope Martinez comes around in all aspects of the game. 

You certainly didn't make a dumb trade, IMO.

840066[/snapback]

I've kinda been cleaning house and trying to make moves where I acquire the best player in the deal, re-building my team's foundation - there are always role-players that you can plug in to fill the holes. First I got Crawford, now I got Ortiz - my next target is a high level SS . . . perhaps Jeter. I think I'm in ok shape to build my offense around Teixeira, Ortiz, Crawford, Brady Clark, Wily Mo Pena, Blalock, JD Drew (who has really picked it up of late) and VMart (who I still expect to do well). I've got Freel and Weeks to battle it out at 2B - hopefully either Freel continues to play well or Weeks performs like the pundits say he should. Khalil isn't exactly doing me any favors at SS.

I'm always watchful of the closer situation, but I'm not a huge fan of the TB side of it. I don't see any of those guys contributing enough saves to justify even watching them. Then again, beggers can't be choosers. I've got Mike Gonzalez in case Mesa gets shipped out and I've also got Aquino, who I believe will be the AZ guy when all is said and done. As far as CLE goes, I haven't heard much on that front - you think Betancourt will be the guy? What about Riske?

I'm always watchful of the closer situation, but I'm not a huge fan of the TB side of it.  I don't see any of those guys contributing enough saves to justify even watching them.  Then again, beggers can't be choosers.  I've got Mike Gonzalez in case Mesa gets shipped out and I've also got Aquino, who I believe will be the AZ guy when all is said and done.  As far as CLE goes, I haven't heard much on that front - you think Betancourt will be the guy?  What about Riske?

840104[/snapback]

Riske's name always comes up, and he closed last season, too... but he's shaky. Betancourt's got a much liver arm and has more closer moxy. I'd say he has a 75-90 percent chance of being the closer should Wickman get traded.

I have Betancourt AND Gonzalez (Gonzalez in a couple leagues, actually). He's certainly the closer for the Bucs should Joe Table get sent off.

Tampa Bay's situation would suck, but supposedly this Orvella kid would be the odds-on favorite to close (even though Lance Carter's probably listed as next in line).