[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One more 'latest update' on Alexander.

skylive5

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/233651_thiel22.html

"But Ruskell not only made it plain nothing was going on regarding Alexander's long-term Seahawks future. By NFL rule, nothing can go on until he signs the one-year tender of $6.3 million due him as the club's designated franchise player. The wink-and-nudge on a long-term deal is expressly forbidden, or it's Guantanamo Bay for all the miscreants.

Despite the commencement of training camp Thursday in Cheney, the deal hasn't happened. And Alexander has been adamant that he won't sign what amounts to a bridge deal to the big one."

===============================================

Where has this guy been for the last few years? It's obvious to me where Alexander fits.

""I've seen him on tape, and I've read all the reports," Ruskell said. "A part of my deal is to evaluate his fit here, his role on the team. I have to see for myself.""

This is where he fits dumbo:

Shaun Alexander has scored 72 touchdowns (62 rushing, 10 receiving) in his 80-game NFL career, the fifth-best total in league history by a player in his first 80 games.

Player Span TDs

Jim Brown 1957-62 85

Emmitt Smith 1990-95 75

Chuck Foreman 1973-78 73

Lance Alworth 1962-68 73

Shaun Alexander 2000-04 72

Steve Van Buren 1944-51 71

Jerry Rice 1985-90 71

Lenny Moore 1956-62 69

Marcus Allen 1982-87 69

Jim Taylor 1958-62 67

Walter Payton 1975-80 65

Earl Campbell 1978-83 65

Terrell Davis 1995-00 65

I think Ruskell is worried about Alexander hitting the wall in a couple of years, when he crosses the 30-year mark. More and more, it's becoming clear that teams are very leery of giving a long-term deal to RBs who are in the back half of their careers. Rookie runners have had a lot of success in the recent past, so I think GMs feel they can always go younger and cheaper at the RB position.